[comp.sys.apple] Reply to a disgruntled GS owner

V131Q5CG@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (John Taylor) (01/31/89)

>Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 15:32:20 HST
>From: Tom Jenkins <tomj@PRO-PAC.CTS.COM>
>Subject: Apple VS IBM

>Is Apple Computer listening???

>I am slowly deciding to sell my Apple ][gs to purchase a
>more up to date and state of the art computer system.

	So what's the more up-to-date system?

[...couple of deleted paragraphs...]

>So you could say I
>have devoted several thousand dollars toward the refinement
>of this system.  To match the hardware, I have continued to
>purchase software and have quite a collection.

	That would be a good reson to keep it, yes?

>I am beginning to wonder though, at all the "other systems"
>in computing that offer as much, if not more than the
>present Apple ][ line and Apple IIgs in particular.  Is it
>not true that for the same amount of investment, I could
>have a top of the line 80286 AT machine with EGA graphics
>that rival that of the GS?

	Not for the same amount of money. Beyond that, IBM software
costs more by sheer dint of being for an IBM machine.

>Additionally, the Amiga is
>gaining in user support and offers a substantial value in
>computing.  [...large deletion...]

	It may be gaining "user support", but it will never find a niche in
the marketplace like the Apple ][ line has.

	[...more deleted...]

>...and I'll use this financial backing to purchase a more state
>of the art computer system.

	You still haven't mentioned what this system is. Something
with the 80286/386 in it? Just because you hear the xxx86 lauded
everywhere, don't assume they're better (than comprable AMERICAN-built
-and designed chips); don't forget that arcitecture plays a key role
and that a good microprocessor doth not a good machine make.

>This is very true, and not
>intended to be a threat.  Just a mature and wise decision
>from a frustrated Apple ][ user.  Any comments?  And yes,
>I'll take on all questions and flames.  After all, isn't
>that what America is all about?

	Yes, it is. Buy American.

>--
>UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
>                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.MIL
>INET: tomj@pro-pac.CTS.COM - BITNET: pro-pac.UUCP!tomj@PSUVAX1

John Taylor  -- SUNY at Buffalo
	Bitnet:   v131q5cg@ubvms
	Internet: v131q5cg@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

   "Two wrongs don't make a right, but two (W)rights make
      an airplane."