[comp.sys.apple] Reply to a school-system purchaser

V131Q5CG@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (John Taylor) (01/31/89)

>Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 17:37:47 GMT
>From: Dick O'Connor <blake!djo7613@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
>Subject: Micro setups for elementary schools

[...deletions...]

>Pricetag for this setup including some level of support (that the
>teacher in charge was *very* pleased with) was $70,000.

	Gag! Choke! $70,000? If you can invest that kind of money,
why not buy a micro-vax and workstations- something that was designed
with networking in mind? You could probably port all kinds of neat
applications in.

[...first two points deal with the timeliness of the ps/2...]

	No-one says anything much about Micro Channel Arcitecture anymore,
except that the name sounds neat. Unfortunately for IBM, the micro channel
is the problem with PS/2's (beside the fact that IBM makes them); if you
start doing outboard communication the machine will bog down- big, memory
intensive programs do this also, mainly because the micro-channel is just
that: it has no backplane and limited bus bandwidth; I would never, ever
recommend this machine, especially in your case. Don't believe everything
dealers tell you.

>3) Is there an equivalent setup available (tried, tested, and true) using
>Apple IIe or Apple GS machines?  Who would I contact to find out more about
>such a system (I don't know much about Apples at all).

	Although I've never seen it applied, I understand Applelink
might be what you're looking for.

[...4th point deleted; covered above...]

	If you must buy an IBM-micro, buy the AT. Best of luck in your
search.

>-Dick O'Connor
> Washington Department of Fisheries
> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
John Taylor   --  SUNY at Buffalo
	Bitnet:   v131q5cg@ubvms
	Internet: v131q5cg@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

   "Two wrongs don't make a right, but two (W)rights make
      an airplane."
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

abc@BRL.MIL (Brint Cooper) (01/31/89)

Re:

	>From: Dick O'Connor <blake!djo7613@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
	>Subject: Micro setups for elementary schools

>>Pricetag for this setup including some level of support (that the
>>teacher in charge was *very* pleased with) was $70,000.
>
>	Gag! Choke! $70,000? If you can invest that kind of money,
>why not buy a micro-vax and workstations- something that was designed
>with networking in mind? You could probably port all kinds of neat
>applications in.

	OK, a simpler setup, and one that works VERY WELL in elementary
school situations, high schools, and teacher workshops uses one Apple II
machine as a file server, usually from a floppy drive although a hard
drive can be used, I think.  Ten to 16, perhaps more, "workstations" are
connected to this network.  Each workstation is a full Apple II (e or
GS) with a single disk drive.  Each workstation can stand alone, booting
from the local drive, or can boot from the OS on the file server.

	Unfortunately, I don't know the cost and have forgotten the
price.  Typically, it's sold by Apple dealers although it is not an
Apple product.  I provided info to someone else on Info-Apple about this
at one time.  Perhaps someone can help?

	Incidentally, this setup didn't cost anything like $70,000.

	There's a WEALTH of Apple II software, free and very modestly
priced, that's useful in the classroom.  An important source of
well-written stuff seems to be the "Minnesota Educational Comput(ing,er?)
Consortium."  The school district joins MECC for a modest annual fee.

	Write if you can't find info on the network file server, and
I'll try to get some product info for you.

_Brint