[comp.sys.apple] Bad //gs?

C70301RC@WUVMD.BITNET (Rob Caton) (01/26/89)

Hi...I have a question that really has no significance, but here goes...

I was at my local Apple dealer who had a broken //gs.  When he turned
on the power it would beep and put a b&w checkerboard pattern on the
screen and then quit.  He tried it with and without the peripherals
connected.  He told me he sent it in for repairs and they replaced
the motherboard, but when he got it back he had the same problem.
He ended up exchanging it for another one.  Anyone care to guess what
was wrong with it?

|       Rob Caton          |BITNET:  C70301RC@WUVMD                 |
|--------------------------|APPLELINK:  RobCaton <==(How original:-)|
|  Washington University   |COMPU$ERVE:  71450,754                  |
|====================================================================
| "ACK THIPPFFT"  _   /|   | Don't blame me;  |
|    --Bill        'O.O    | I voted for Bill |
|      the        =(___)=  | and Opus!!!      |
|      Cat           U     |                  |

jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) (01/26/89)

The only time when I encounter such problem was when my disk drive controller
was broken. One of the chips on there was somehow burned out. If I leave the
card plugged into my computer and boot it, it would give a checkerboard (which
is part of booting) but when it checks slot 6 it would freeze there, leaving
the checkerboard on the screen.

When he tried it with the cards plugged in, what happened? The card usually
gets broken when someone pulls it out while the computer is on, and it might
be that when he tried it after he get it back, he tried it with the card on or
something. Either that or a chip on the computer itself is burned out... But I
can't figure out why it was still broken when he got it back.

  ___________________________________
 |Send E-Mails to:          |(: .. :)|
 |INET - jlee@pnet01.cts.com|__\__/__|
 |UUCP - ...!crash!pnet01!jlee       |
 |INET - crash!pnet01!jlee@nosc.mil  |
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (01/27/89)

	Last year @ the end of the semester, my GS had the same syndrom. I
	didn't have time to mess with it, so I brought it into a local
	dealer to fix it. Meanwhile, I called a friend of mine who had used
	the GS as the "Cortland" to see what he thought. He had seen the
	problem on his machine a couple of times, but it cleared up after
	a couple of reboots. Feeling idiotic, I returned to the dealership
	to returieve my GS, but they had allready 'fixed' it. I talked to
	the guy behind the counter and there are no charge, so I didnt mind
	what they did. But when I returned home, hooked it back up, and
	switched it on, low and behold, the srevice tech took it upon
	himself to service my GS with NEW ROMS. WITHOUT MY CONSENT!
	Yet again, I returned to the shop, a little but more inspired
	this time, and had it out with the manager(the tech was gone for
	the day...dont blame him), and he went in back and returned my old
	ROMs to me promptly. I still have them today. After I patched some
	of my software for the new ROMs I pulled them, but I still am
	surprised about the 'brain surgery' to my GS without my consent.

	Oh, if anyone is interested, the Transwarp GS will be released soon,
	and if you want one, you better put in your order now....AE has
	quite a waiting list for this one...

	David C. Troup
	dtroup@carroll1.UUCP

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (01/28/89)

From article <191@carroll1.UUCP>, by dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup):

> 	himself to service my GS with NEW ROMS. WITHOUT MY CONSENT!
> 	Yet again, I returned to the shop, a little but more inspired
> 	this time, and had it out with the manager(the tech was gone for
> 	the day...dont blame him), and he went in back and returned my old
> 	ROMs to me promptly. I still have them today. After I patched some
> 	of my software for the new ROMs I pulled them, but I still am
> 	surprised about the 'brain surgery' to my GS without my consent.

Hey, some of us live for those new ROM's :)  and more importantly, ROM
patches.  I'll be glad when Apple finishes the tools.  Tool bugs are the
single largest source of problems we have with AWGS right now.

--
Scott Lindsey, wombat    | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development      | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (01/29/89)

Hello Scott Lindsey,

   I've experienced multiple directory corruptions while using AWGS.
Two people I know have had similar experiences. If you wish to know
more just ask.

                        - Mark Cromwell

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (01/30/89)

From article <8901290144.aa16380@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU:

>    I've experienced multiple directory corruptions while using AWGS.
> Two people I know have had similar experiences. If you wish to know
> more just ask.

You're not alone.  I've heard several horror stories already.  It appears
that the GS/OS cache is getting corrupted (& I think it's by either GS/OS
itself or tools).  We're trying to see what Apple can do about it.

On a similar note, after an AWGS crash one of our programmers went looking
through memory.  He found that it had crashed somewhere in GS/OS(ProDOS)
code & that it had died because a string had been blasted on top of
code.  The string was something like *:SYSTEM:DRIVERS: ... very probable
that the print manager was responsible.

--

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/31/89)

In article <8499@claris.com> scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>From article <8901290144.aa16380@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU:
>>    I've experienced multiple directory corruptions while using AWGS.
>You're not alone.  I've heard several horror stories already.

Even with the cache disabled, it seems that every time I attempt
via the Finder to duplicate a folder and its contents and there
isn't enough room on my disk, afterwards I find my directory
structure corrupted.