[comp.sys.apple] PRODOS and CATALOG again

DANFUZZ@BROWNVM.BITNET (Dan Bornstein) (01/26/89)

Sorry about double posting, but...

I left out part: If you want to get the catalog into a file, you can instead
of putting the stuff into an array, have another open file in write mode and
write everything you read. Or write out the array (if you use one).

-Dan Bornstein

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft 862-6728", 814) (01/26/89)

I know this doesn't apply to the question exactly, but way back when
I got my //e (a couple years before SOFTALK went down the tubes)
Softalk published a program (by Uncle DOS I believe) which would
read your DOS 3.3 CATALOG directly into variables. I used it to make
a decent (for the era) disk menu program. I even went so far as
to use a little monitor command (that very common routine to execute
monitor commands from Applesoft) to move some memory around, switching
it in and out of the text pages...

Ah, those were the days...

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (01/27/89)

If you're using DOS 3.3, none of the mentioned methods of capturing a catalog
will work, because when you do PRINT CHR$(4)"CATALOG", any reading or writing of
text files is suspended until you issue another PRINT CHR$(4)"READ FILE" or
PRINT CHR$(4)"WRITE FILE".

I wrote a utility a few years ago that would read the catalog from a disk using
RWTS and then copy the filenames, types, and sizes into arrays.  I don't have it
around anymore, but if you need it, I guess I could rewrite it for you.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22%andrew@cmccvb

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (02/01/89)

In article <8901252212.aa12020@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft  862-6728", 814) writes:
>I know this doesn't apply to the question exactly, but way back when
>I got my //e (a couple years before SOFTALK went down the tubes)
>Softalk published a program (by Uncle DOS I believe) which would
>read your DOS 3.3 CATALOG directly into variables. I used it to make

Actually, the article referred to was in Softalk August 1984, called
"A Catalog of Values!", by John A. Oakey.  It was designed allow
reading all the DOS 3.3 catalog info into Applesoft variables.  It was a 300
line assembly listing, with an accompanying Applsoft program.

A much simpler was was published in the CALL-APPLE publication "ALL
ABOUT DOS".  Bill Parker wrote and article entitled "CAT SCAN".  It
poked a machine language routine into memory, which called the catalog
routines in DOS, and directed the each catalog sector into an
Applesoft string, for up to 15 catalog sectors.  I have used this very
successfully to allow menu display selection of files, in a
menu-driven program.

I did reconstruct the assembly language listing from the poked values,
and figured out how it worked by referencing "Beneath Apple DOS".  In
addition, I added some pokes to catalog from either drive, with or
without changing the drive default settings.  The program as published
does not work with DOS moved up (DOS-UP or DOS MOVER).  I did manage
to modify the program for DOS moved, however.  An exercise in
switching the language card memory in and out.

--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr