[comp.sys.apple] GS 5.25 drive chaining

>Date:         Mon, 30 Jan 89 10:00:40 EST
>From:         mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA
>Subject:      5 1/4" drive chaining

>I currently have an Apple IIGS with a hard disk (slot 7), a 3 1/2
>inch apple drive, and a 5 1/4 inch apple drive, the latter running
>from a controller card in slot 6.  I understand I can daisy chain the
>5 1/4" drive from the 3 1/2" drive by simply buying the proper cable.
>Questions:
>
>1.  Is this correct, and if so, where can one purchase such a cable?

Yes, I believe that's correct, but I don't know where to buy the
cable.

>2.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of this, specifically,
>    a) will the drive still appear as slot 6, drive 1 to old software which
>       requires this?

Yes, the 5.25 drive(s) appear in slot 6 in either case:  with a
controller card in 6 & slot 6 set to Your Card in the control panel;
or with the drive(s) chained off the 3.5's from the SmartPort
connector & slot 6 set to Disk Port.

>    b) does this free up slot 6 for other cards, or must I leave it free do
>       (I mean due) to mapping?

You can put another card in slot 6 if you want, but under current
versions of GS/OS (and under _all_ versions of ProDOS 8, even in the
future), you'll have to have the slot set to Your Card when you
actually want to use the 5.25 drives.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons