[comp.sys.apple] Laser 128 reset -> monitor

>Date:         Mon, 30 Jan 89 19:24:20 est
>From:         GREYELF@WPI

>Did you know CTRL-OPEN Triangle-Enter causes an absolute drop to the
>monitor at any time on a  Laser?  So much for copy protection, if it
>loads into memory, it can be copied.

Interesting feature (no, I didn't know that).

It isn't necessarily as simple as "if it loads into memory, it can
be copied," though.  What if the program stores important parts of
itself (tables of addresses to important subroutines, which would
always be called through the tables) in areas of memory that will be
overwritten when you go into the monitor?  Like the text screen at
$400-7FF, the early part of the keyboard buffer ($200+), and certain
zero-page locations ($00xx).  Quite a few years ago this was
actually a fairly common practice.

>                                Mike.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons