[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS, CMS60, bugs, etc.

>Date:         Sun, 29 Jan 89 17:29:54 CST
>From:         Brian Greenstone <orcus@PRO-LEP.CTS.COM>
>Subject:      GS/OS and CMS 60

>[...] But of course I had to remove GS/OS from my hard drive when it
>started crashing EVERYTHING that I ran it with, especially my own
>applications.  My advice is to wait for version 4.1 and see if they
>fix some bugs before you put it on your HD.

Gee...4.0 works for me.  Try being specific:  which "everythings"
caused you trouble?  What DAs did you have installed?  If your own
applications are causing trouble, I suggest that there are bugs in
them.  Seems like blaming GS/OS for all problems is becoming a trend
these days, when I don't think most of the things being blamed on it
are really its fault.  It _does_ become more obvious, however, that
there are problems with various DAs and applications.  When something
is trashing memory at random, it's very serious for the thing that
gets trashed to be GS/OS's disk cache!  It can lead to volume damage
very quickly.

_My_ advice is to go ahead and use 4.0 and to keep very good backups
in case a buggy DA or application tromps on GS/OS's cached image of
one of your directories at an inopportune time.

>I had to completely re-init my HD in order to re-install P16... what
>a pain in the ass.

I don't understand why you had to re-init to go back to P16.  Was
the volume damaged beyond repair?  Deleting the SYSTEM folder and
the PRODOS file, and replacing them with copies from System Disk
3.2, should have been enough.

By the way--time permitting, I'm willing to take a look at your
applications (either source or object) to see if I can find any of
their problems (either your bugs or the things they are doing to
make GS/OS or tool bugs show up).  Use Send File By Mail on
AppleLink--PE.

>Brian Greenstone  (orcus@pro-lep.cts.com)  AppleLink:  BrianG19

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (02/02/89)

I was using an older P16 shell under GS/OS when I noticed that somebody failed
to inform GS/OS that I had switched disks.  If you think about it for a minute,
you realize that two volumes with the same name will appear to be the same
volume; if you switch them then GS/OS will use the cached directory.

I managed to trash a disk in this manner; the directory of the first disk
was written onto the second.

I've also heard reports of people who update their files, only to have GS/OS
read from the cache.  I don't have first-hand experience of this, but it
shouldn't be that hard to test (although logically it shouldn't happen if
the cache was implemented correctly).

--
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (expiring soon)