[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS Cache

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/01/89)

From article <9548@smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ):

> Even with the cache disabled, it seems ...

GS/OS maintains a cache regardless of the setting in the Cache DA.  This
is one of the reasons for its efficiency compared to ProDOS.
--
Scott Lindsey, wombat    | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development      | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/02/89)

In article <8550@claris.com> scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>From article <9548@smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ):
>> Even with the cache disabled, it seems ...
>GS/OS maintains a cache regardless of the setting in the Cache DA.  This
>is one of the reasons for its efficiency compared to ProDOS.

Not a write cache, as I have heard it explained.  If it DOES fail to
"write through" the cache and it gets its cache scrambled when it
aborts out of a folder copy operation, that could explain why the
disk ends up corrupted.