[comp.sys.apple] laser 128 - is it truly compatible?

SAACC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (01/19/89)

I am considering possibly purchasing the apple clone, the laser
128. I don't know anyone who has one though, and since I will
be using a variety of software on it, especially educational
software and games - both for my son, I would like to know
from any laser 128 users if they have experienced any problems
in terms of compatibility.

mjw@sequent.UUCP (Michael Waugh) (01/20/89)

I have an apple ][ + logic board (its a real apple) in working condition
plus home brew power supply, keyboard, and case with a few books, software
and a broken (drive and or controller board).

Anyone in the USA want it for $50.00 plus shipping?

This would be good if you have a broken apple to fix.
I'm not real handy on the net yet so I'll include a OR phone no. if my net
address is not correct.

503-526-4412

maton@dvinci.USask.CA (Terry Maton) (01/20/89)

In article <1860SAACC@CUNYVM>, SAACC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
> I am considering possibly purchasing the apple clone, the laser
> 128. I don't know anyone who has one though, and since I will
> be using a variety of software on it, especially educational
> software and games - both for my son, I would like to know
> from any laser 128 users if they have experienced any problems
> in terms of compatibility.

	I have had a LASER 128 for over 3 years.

	When I first had it there were a very few programs that it was
	not 100% compatible with.  However, the dealer provided (free
	of charge) upgrades of the ROM and I have not had any problems
	at all for over a year.

	I would most certainly recommend the LASER 128 - I have 14 kids
	(yes fourteen) and they range in age from 6 to 16 years, and they
	use the LASER for word processing, games, newsletters and anything
	else they can think of!

	Terry Maton - U of Sask, Canada
	The above opinions are my own!

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (01/25/89)

I also have a Laser 128, well the EX anyway :)

I have  had no trouble with compatibility, and the speed is great.  I also
have a meg of ram plugged in and can not now live without it.  I leave the
machine on all of the time so I can use it as a ramdisk.

The nicest thing about it is not having to buy cards...everything just plugs
in.  And the new Laser 128EX/2 has a built in ProDOS compatible clock among
other things.  A very good deal.

dougd@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Doug Drees) (02/04/89)

Does anyone know how to get a copy of DOS3.2 or ProDOS for a Laser 128?
Please reply directly to me.

I have found the 128 compatible with every application I've tried although
they are mostly children's games and educational software.

          Douglas Drees

          ARPA:    dougd%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com
          UUCP:    {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpfcla!dougd
          USmail:  c/o Hewlett-Packard m/s 99