[comp.sys.apple] Apple II/III hard disk

lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) (02/04/89)

I have a Franklin Ace 1000. Recently I was offered a couple of different
hard disks if I could figure out how to use them. One of them is a Corvus
(I believe 10 meg) and the other is a profile.

I was told that the profile was built to run on an Apple III or Lisa.
Other than that I know nothing about it. I would appreciate it if someone
could tell me of a way to use this thing.

The Corvus drive, I was told, is incredibly unreliable. It's old and has
gone through quite a lot, but since it's not costing me anything I'd like
to try it. I'm missing the cable that goes with it and I'm not sure what
I need to hook it up.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
-Larry

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/04/89)

In article <782@ur-cc.UUCP> lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) writes:
>I was told that the profile was built to run on an Apple III or Lisa.
>Other than that I know nothing about it. I would appreciate it if someone
>could tell me of a way to use this thing.

You need an Apple II ProFILE interface card.  Your Apple dealer may be
able to obtain one for you (perhaps just as a "replacement part").

The ProFILE is supported by Apple II OSes.  You of course need to format
it before use.  Unless it's been damaged you should be able to do this
the same way as you format other types of disks.

There were both 5Mbyte and 10Mbyte versiond of the ProFILE (mine is 5).