[comp.sys.apple] baked bit-map

>Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 89 15:49:00 MST
>From:         The Ultron <CYLau%UNCAMULT.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: ShrinkIt problem

>[...] Davex said that the file had a "baked bit-map" (funny Dave,
>funny... :-) ) and refused to delete it...

The ProDOS 8 tech ref manual describes error $5A as "Bit map disk
address is impossible," which I don't think is any more enlightening
than "baked bit-map."  Just to be clear here, Davex isn't making the
judgement about your disk being fried:  Davex just makes a ProDOS
DESTROY call with the pathname you specify, and it reports the error
message when ProDOS returns the error code.  (Well, if you try to
delete a _directory_, then Davex has a lot more work to do...it has
to delete the directory's contents before deleting the directory.)

>The ProSel utils failed to do anything with it and Mr fixit gave me
>the same errors and didn't fix it The only way I could get rid of the
>"deleted" file was to copy over all the other files to another disk
>and reformat the old one...

Mr.Fixit wouldn't fix it?  Actually I think Cat Doctor has a way to
"force delete" a file that would just remove its entry from the
directory; then you could use Mr.Fixit to repair the bitmap.

>Chris
>CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons