[comp.sys.apple] 6502

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (02/06/89)

Thanks for your all your suggestions about the video problems my friend was
having.  It turns out that it was the 6502 chip itself that was the
problem!  My question is where can one of these be ordered from?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

P.S. Please send replies to me directly as I don't always read the
     list right away.

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/07/89)

To whoever  needed a replacement 6502 cpu chip, (was it Chris @  brown?)
A 6502 can  be ordered from any of several major electronics parts
suppliers, eg. Gerber Electronics.
Or the person could go to a 65c02, with or without upgrading.
Or  the person could just get one of these accelerators:
ZIP or Rocket,   that replace the old cpu  anyway.
That way they also get a 400-500% speed increase.
The chips are pin compatible, just put the old one out and insert the
new (as I understand it).

Can anyone support my assumption that electrically it won't matter if
you just pull the burnt 6502 and put a new 65c02 in?

|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/07/89)

Michael J Pender Jr writes:
>Can anyone support my assumption that electrically it won't matter if
>you just pull the burnt 6502 and put a new 65c02 in?

Actually, it WILL make a difference electrically.  There will be less
demand on your power supply, since the 65c02 requires considerably less
current than a 6502.  There will also be less heat generated by the 65c02.
Other than that, no, it won't make any difference electrically.

-Phil Albro-