[comp.sys.apple] The Future of the Apple II, and misc. questions

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/04/89)

In article <458@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>       - faster speed (10Mhz or more)
16Mhz, i like numbers that are powers of 2!

>       - coprocessors (graphics, sound, io)
Graphics processor a MUST! and with capability of using huge screens, like
the monoliths that the Macs can display on.

>       - more standard memory
standard memory slots, maybe SIMM?, so don't need some board occupying
room in an already small compartment.

>For the future?  How about:
>
> - a Prodos16 which will run on an Apple II (any variety) with the 65802?
Won't happen unfortunately unless Apple makes a computer with a 65802.
After all, that'd make three different Prodos systems.  Starting to get hairy..

> - a IIGS running 10MHz+ with a 65832 and floating point coprocessor?
No, a IIgs with 16MHz running some of the even newer parallel processing chips
that Weisch (sp?) is working on!  But for now I can settle with a 16Mhz 65832.

> - an *AFFORDABLE* unix or unix clone for the Apple II?
>        ..note: if the II is *powerful* enough, unix WILL work!
DEFINITELY!

Time for miscellaneous questions:

1) What happened to Applied Ingenuity?  I saw one, very small add for there
   products several months ago, never seen an add again.

2) Other than the fact that the Apple SCSI card can partition from software,
   a nice feature I think, what makes it incompatible with the standard
   SCSI?

3) Is anybody gonna repost bounce.it?  Or did anybody figure out how to
   uudecode it?  Failed miserably when I tried it.

4) Does anybody know anything about Rodime drives?  Saw them recently
   advertising drives for the Apple, 140 Meg for $1500, vs 90 Meg Sider with
   60 Meg tape for $2500.  BTW, anybody have a huge (around the Rodime 140
   Meg size) for the Apple they'd like to sell me *cheap*?  A Rodime 140
   be nice also! :-)

5) Has anybody seen the Byte article that shows a Mac SE/30 being as fast if
   not faster than a Mac IIx?  Hmmm, Apple did that with the IIc+ and IIgs,
   hmm, wonder what's up their sleeves.....

6) TO KEITH OR WHOEVER AT APPLE:  Drop the old 800K line of 3.5 drives and
   start cranking out those 1.44M drives!!!!!  I WANT ONE!!!!  System disk
   on a 800K with DAs/fonts/etc is getting mighty cramped and am having to
   wait a while for my mega-meg huge hard drive.  And offer some kind of
   upgrade kit for folks who don't wanna junk or spend money for the new
   ones!

That's it for now folks.

kareth.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/04/89)

In article <1164@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>2) Other than the fact that the Apple SCSI card can partition from software,
>   a nice feature I think, what makes it incompatible with the standard
>   SCSI?

Mostly, using Apple's own flavor of connectors instead of the standard.

>5) Has anybody seen the Byte article that shows a Mac SE/30 being as fast if
>   not faster than a Mac IIx?

No, but I've visually verified that the SE/30 is pretty damn fast.

>  Hmmm, Apple did that with the IIc+ and IIgs,
>   hmm, wonder what's up their sleeves.....

Nothing -- obviously they have to speed up their processors as time
goes on.

>6) TO KEITH OR WHOEVER AT APPLE:  Drop the old 800K line of 3.5 drives and
>   start cranking out those 1.44M drives!!!!!

I don't think that's enough improvement over 800K to be worth the hassle.
The new 4MB version (Toshiba, e.g.) would make more sense.  In any case,
the new drives had better be able to read existing 800K disks!

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (02/05/89)

In article <1164@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>In article <458@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>
>> - a IIGS running 10MHz+ with a 65832 and floating point coprocessor?
>No, a IIgs with 16MHz running some of the even newer parallel processing chips
>that Weisch (sp?) is working on!  But for now I can settle with a 16Mhz 65832.

That's Bill Mensch. But anyway, don't anyone go looking for any 65832's, 16Mhz
or otherwise. As far as I know, they don't exist and are a favorite myth of
many people on the net. However, I would loved to be proved wrong. If anyone
has seen one or can send on to me, let me know!

>6) TO KEITH OR WHOEVER AT APPLE:  Drop the old 800K line of 3.5 drives and
>   start cranking out those 1.44M drives!!!!!  I WANT ONE!!!!  System disk
>   on a 800K with DAs/fonts/etc is getting mighty cramped and am having to
>   wait a while for my mega-meg huge hard drive.  And offer some kind of
>   upgrade kit for folks who don't wanna junk or spend money for the new
>   ones!

Be careful with what you say here! The sentence above is semantically equal to
"Drop the old Apple II line and start cranking out those Macintoshes!!!!!"
Remember whose purposes you are serving! However, your point is well taken.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough...they're yours" -Bach, Illusions

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/07/89)

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>6) TO KEITH OR WHOEVER AT APPLE:  Drop the old 800K line of 3.5 drives and
>   start cranking out those 1.44M drives!!!!!  I WANT ONE!!!!  System disk
>   on a 800K with DAs/fonts/etc is getting mighty cramped and am having to
>   wait a while for my mega-meg huge hard drive.  And offer some kind of
>   upgrade kit for folks who don't wanna junk or spend money for the new
>   ones!

I for one would be quite upset if Apple decided to drop the 800K drive just so
they could fit more fonts on the SYSTEM.DISK.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/08/89)

In article <618@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>>6) TO KEITH OR WHOEVER AT APPLE:  Drop the old 800K line of 3.5 drives and
>>   start cranking out those 1.44M drives!!!!!  I WANT ONE!!!!  System disk
>I for one would be quite upset if Apple decided to drop the 800K drive just so
>they could fit more fonts on the SYSTEM.DISK.

Well, you obviously don't know what this new drive can do, so here's a
quick summary:

	1.44M, 800K, 400K? - Mac currently
	MS-DOS (1.44M & 720K I think, maybe just 1.44M)
	GS/OS

All these formats (did I miss any, anyone?) the drive can read at least.  As
for formatting, I don't know about that (except 1.44M).  Why wouldn't anybody
not want the increased storage?  With 1.44M most of if not all of AWGS could
be put on one disk (just the program and dictionaries).  Any commercial
package that currently uses 2 or more disks, could be stuck on fewer disks
also.  And if Apple offered a upgrade policy, then folks wouldn't have to
worry about being left out on new software being offered on 1.44M disks.
Heck, I've also heard of 4M and even remember seeing an article in Personal
Computing about a drive that could do a lot more than that I believe.  Why
produce a 800K drives when there's other drives (at least the 1.44M) that can
work with the 800K disks?  Not to mention MS-DOS, Mac software.  Doesn't this
just scream out "MS-DOS and Mac FST's with GS/OS"?  Hasn't that been something
folks have been looking for?  Personally, I'd like to be able to fit a few
more fonts on my SYSTEM.DISK also.

kareth.

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/09/89)

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>In article <618@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>>asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>>>6) TO KEITH OR WHOEVER AT APPLE:  Drop the old 800K line of 3.5 drives and
>>>   start cranking out those 1.44M drives!!!!!  I WANT ONE!!!!  System disk
>>I for one would be quite upset if Apple decided to drop the 800K drive just so
>>they could fit more fonts on the SYSTEM.DISK.
>
>Well, you obviously don't know what this new drive can do, so here's a
>quick summary:

I know what formats it supports.  I wasn't looking at it from a disk format
point of view.  Rather, my point is that 800K drives shouldn't be completely
removed (support-wise, anyway) from the market, since not everyone has the
money for one of those drives.

I'm just not a fan of, "I can afford it and I want it, so everyone else should
have it and then we can get rid of the OLD THING!"

But hey, if dropping the 800K drives doesn't mean dropping the drivers
(including any permutations in the future of the OS), I have no problem with
dropping the product itself.

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/09/89)

In article <623@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>point of view.  Rather, my point is that 800K drives shouldn't be completely
>removed (support-wise, anyway) from the market, since not everyone has the
>money for one of those drives.
With the number of drives out there, support isn't probably gonna disappear.

>I'm just not a fan of, "I can afford it and I want it, so everyone else should
>have it and then we can get rid of the OLD THING!"
>
>But hey, if dropping the 800K drives doesn't mean dropping the drivers
>(including any permutations in the future of the OS), I have no problem with
>dropping the product itself.

Well, they have to maintain capability with old disks so the drivers (they'd
only get more versatility) aren't gonna disappear.  And if a simple upgrade
could be made, that makes for lot less expense.  But the longer Apple produces
the 800K drive the more 800K drives are gonna be out there, making it harder
to drop the line and switch to something better.  Sorta like why the IIgs had
to maintain compatibility with the II line.

Even if Apple does drop the ole 800K drives, there still be plenty of folks
out here willing to sell ya one cheap if ya can't afford a new one.  Me for
one.

kareth.

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/10/89)

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>Even if Apple does drop the ole 800K drives, there still be plenty of folks
>out here willing to sell ya one cheap if ya can't afford a new one.  Me for
>one.

If I were going to buy a new disk drive, I'd want a 1.44 meg drive.  But I'm
doing fine with my two 800K drives right now.  Upgrading would be nice, but I
don't happen to have the money or the device driver for a 1.44 meg drive...
:-)