[comp.sys.apple] Kermit Prodos Problems

smw@whuts.ATT.COM (WINCKLHOFER) (02/02/89)

I am having trouble getting Kermit 3.85 to work under ProDOS and I would
appreciate some help.  The Kermit works fine under DOS 3.3 so I copied it
with Copy II plus to a ProDOS disk (V. 1.1.1).  It still run properly but
it crashes when I attempt to RECEIVE a file from a host.

					Thanks

					Scott

Scott Wincklhofer  AT&T Bell Laboratories Whippany
(201) 386-5094
whuts!smw

>I am having trouble getting Kermit 3.85 to work under ProDOS and I would
>appreciate some help.  The Kermit works fine under DOS 3.3 so I copied it
>with Copy II plus to a ProDOS disk (V. 1.1.1).  It still run properly but
>it crashes when I attempt to RECEIVE a file from a host.

As sometimes happens with copies (usually when you've BSAVE'd the DOS
version from a copy that's been BRUN instead of BLOAD'd, but I suppose
other circumstances are possible) it appears your ProDOS version isn't setting
the ProDOS prefix to a volume you have on line (try SHOW PREFIX at the
Kermit-65> prompt to confirm).

*solution*

The easiest way is edit the KERMIT.INIT file and add a SET PREFIX /directory
statement (whatever directory or subdirectory you'd like RECEIVED files
to go into).

Another method is BRUN KERMIT385 and SET PREFIX /directory at the
Kermit-65> prompt, then EXIT (to BASIC) and BSAVE KERMIT385,A$2000,L$6E00
(that'll embed the PREFIX in your BIN file and you won't have to bother
with it again).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

>Another method is BRUN KERMIT385 and SET PREFIX /directory at the
>Kermit-65> prompt, then EXIT (to BASIC) and BSAVE KERMIT385,A$2000,L$6E00
>(that'll embed the PREFIX in your BIN file and you won't have to bother
>with it again).

Oops!! Typo'd again (at least I make the same mistake consistently :-)

As Phil Albro pointed out, that should be

       BSAVE KERMIT385,A$1000,L$6E00

Phil's memory may be better than mine (although I DID, somewhat to my
surprise, pass the memory test on 20/20 last night), but I think even
earlier versions of Kermit-65 (3.75, 3.79, 3.80, etc.) also start at
A$1000... A$2000 is what, where SYS files start (I'm obsolescent and still
don't use ProDOS much)?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/05/89)

Scott Wincklhofer <whuts!smu> is having trouble with Kermit 3.85 under ProDOS
1.1.1.  The problem may be that 1.1.1 disables interupts.  If you replace it
with ProDOS 1.4 or later, you shouldn't have this problem of hanging.

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/05/89)

Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET> suggests that my memory may be better
that his because I knew that Kermits now start at $1000.  Nope, my memory is
starting to leak like a sieve.  Just before reading your message I had BLOADed
Kermit 3.85 (no address given), and PEEKed DOS at 43634/43635 (ProDOS at
48855/48856) to find out where it had Bloaded.  Goes with the old definition:
"a dummy is someone who doesn't know what you just learned."

-Phil Albro-

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/07/89)

smw@whuts.ATT.COM (WINCKLHOFER) writes:
>I am having trouble getting Kermit 3.85 to work under ProDOS and I would
>appreciate some help.  The Kermit works fine under DOS 3.3 so I copied it
>with Copy II plus to a ProDOS disk (V. 1.1.1).  It still run properly but
>it crashes when I attempt to RECEIVE a file from a host.

Oh my.  Kermit is an assembly language program, correct?  The problem is that
you can't just copy a compiled/assembled program from DOS 3.3 over to ProDOS
since the file I/O routines are completely different.  It might look fine on
the screen and such, but that's where the similarity ends.

I believe you'll have to procure a ProDOS version of Kermit 3.85.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

blake@pnet51.cts.com (R. Blake Von Haden) (02/08/89)

<try this you ravenous line eater>

Shawn is correct about most assembly language programs being either
DOS 3.3 or ProDOS specific, but Kermit 3.xx is written with interfaces
to both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS built in.  It is a marvel of DOS flexibility.

So, Kermit 3.xx works with DOS 3.3 and ProDOS, and you can move them
from one to another with the appropriate copy programs.  I use Copy II+
and it works just fine.
Blake Von Haden   UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!blake |    nobody's
St. Paul, MN      ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!blake@nosc.mil   |  responsible
                  INET: blake@pnet51.cts.com                !    anymore.

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (02/10/89)

>The problem is that you can't just copy a compiled/assembled program from
>dos 3.3 over to ProDos since......

  There is no problem with kermit. All you have to do is Exec it under Dos 3.3
then copy it to a Prodos disk. Now when you use Prodos you have to make sure
you stay within Prodos's constraints. Like your file name can't be more than
14 characters long, your file names can't start with numbers, or special
characters. Other little things like that, but those were the major ones.

Robert