[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt on GEnie

>Date:         Wed, 8 Feb 89 23:17:18 EST
>From:         The RainForest BBS <sschneider@PRO-EXCHANGE.CTS.COM>
>Subject:      GEnie Apple 2 / ShrinkIt

>Just logged off GEnie. Seems that the Librarian there (A2.DEAN)
>deemed the new packing/compression program ShrinkIt too radical for
>the system. [...] he objected to the fact that since GEnie couldn't
>(wouldn't) support it, why bother leaving it where it could be
>accessed by someone that might actually like using it better than BLU
>which is their "standard"... [...]

(As I said on GEnie) I disagree with the A2 RoundTable staff
decision not to allow ShrinkIt on GEnie; however, I _agree_ with
their policy of requring that all packed uploads be in .BNY or .BQY
format.  There's enough confusion with just one packer used on
GEnie.  And remember that ShrinkIt currently requires an _enhanced_
IIe or a GS.  (There are alternatives to BLU that can pack and
unpack .BNY and .BQY files on the II+, and BLU works with the
unenhanced IIe.)

>/steve
>UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider                APPLELINK : sschneider
>ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil       COMPU$ERVE: 75166,2544
>INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com              GENIE     : sschneider
>The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons