[comp.sys.apple] Sample Code, PlaySound

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/11/89)

Has anyone played with the PlaySound demo in the Apple II Code sampler?

I've experimented with digitized sounds AFE'd from the Macintosh (they're
SoundEdit-created.  Most are 22KHz sampled.  Some sound just fine, but
others come across distorted &/or with a buzz.  I'm wondering if maybe
there's certain inherent amplitude restrictions for the freeform
generator.  I've verified that no data was munged (by AFE'ing the
sound back to the Mac) and that it wasn't my speaker (by using headphones).
I asked AII DTS, but only got back the possibility that certain sampling
rates sound wrong on the GS & the suggestion that I try certain sample
rates (22KHz among them).

Anyone else heard this and maybe figured out what's what?

--
Scott Lindsey, wombat    | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development      | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

labc-3dc@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (02/12/89)

In article <8777@claris.com> scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Has anyone played with the PlaySound demo in the Apple II Code sampler?
>
>I've experimented with digitized sounds AFE'd from the Macintosh (they're
>SoundEdit-created.  Most are 22KHz sampled.  Some sound just fine, but
>others come across distorted &/or with a buzz.  I'm wondering if maybe
[...]

There's a shareware program called SoundStudio which has an option... I
forget exactly what its called, but it basically decreases the amplitude
of the waveform (I believe).  It's under the same menu with fade in, reverse,
etc.  Anyway, you select it, it runs for a little while, and then everything
sounds much better.

(sorry I'm not more informative.  Grab a copy of the program via ftp and
take a look at it...)

labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)