[comp.sys.apple] source code chat

>Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 89 19:55:14 GMT
>From:         Dale Brisinda
>              <att!alberta!calgary!cpsc!brisinda@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>

>Well source codes are the codes that you write, and object codes are
>the codes that appear after you compile the source codes, as in
>assembly language, or in Pascal. Whereas in Applesoft Basic, the
>source code, and the object code are the same, since no compiler is
>necessary. It interprets them an runs them without the aid of a
>compiler.
>
>Does this sound right?? [...]

Yup, sounds like you've pretty much got it.

Traditionally everybody says "code" rather than "codes."  "Code" can
be used as a both a noun and a verb:  "My code is 1000 lines long"
or "They code 2000 lines a day."  You can't always tell if
somebody's talking about source code or object code except from the
context ("lines" almost certainly means they're talking about source
code).

"Compile" is _usually_ used to describe the translation from a
high-level language (C or Pascal or BASIC, for example) into
something else (usually machine language or assembly language).
Assembly language source code gets "assembled" rather than
"compiled," but this isn't really a very interesting distinction.
(The ORCA and APW environments will let you use the "COMPILE" and
"ASSEMBLE" commands on any kind of source code--it figures out which
compiler or assembler to use in any case.)

With Applesoft there really _isn't_ any object code; you could call
what there is "source code," but typically you'll just call it "my
program" (or maybe "my code").

>            ...no longer bewildered and confused...Dale

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons