[comp.sys.apple] AE Sonic Blaster

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (02/10/89)

Does anyone have the Applied Engineering Sonic Blaster?

I would like to know if its output is any less noisy than that of the built in
sound port. I want to develop for the Ensoniq chip but am somewhat disappointed
in the interference the motherboard introduces to the onboard pre-amp. Does the
'Blaster work around this?

BTW... AE has just announced shipping of the Transwarp GS in A+ magazine. As
soon as someone gets one of these, would they PLEASE post a review (benchmarks,
etc.)

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpa)
r746jm7e@cmccvb (bitnet)

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (02/10/89)

     I just called AE yestereday. They said they would not be accepting
orders or shipping for three weeks! When confronted with an advertizement
stating that it was shipping now, she said that must have been a March
issue. Well, the March issue comes out in Febraury! (A+ Magazine BTW)
Why didn't they advertize they were shipping NOW in the April magazine?

                                 - Mark Cromwell

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (02/11/89)

	I just got my Sonic Blaster (AE) last week, and I have to say that I am
	not in the least impressed by it. It's noisy, (not in good sound
	either) the cable that connects the back panel board to the computer is
	too short(THis is used for grounding purposes too). A friend of mine
	who built his own pre-amp(from the SONIX plans) has done much better
	sound than I have been able to do with the Sonic Blaster. AE will
	either be getting mine back or if they can send me one that works
	better, I would sorrily suggest that you (or anyone else) not purchase
	this board. Even when used with Skate or Die (Zany Golf was just too
	HORRID!) there is a TON of backround noise. It might be my card, I'll
	post another message after I talk to those guys @ AE.

	ps. I too would like to hear from those of you that have the Transwarp
	GS (or will be getting it). Just how fast is "about 7mhz."?

	dtroup@carroll1.UUCP
	Artificial Intelligence @ Carroll College, Waukesha Wi.
	414-524-6826 voice

	pss. Anyone else (besides me) have AST's video digitizer? I need the
	new version of the software, and Im looking for someone who has written
	some of their own wares for it(Im looking AI Vision applications).

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (02/11/89)

	Almost forgot. The software for Sonic Blaster is pretty nice. It's
	quick, and you can control just about everything. I think the software
	took longer than the hardware...no doubt!

	dtroup@carroll1.UUCP
	Artificial Intelligence @ Carroll College, Waukesha Wi
	414-524-6826 voice

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (02/12/89)

     How fast is "about 7mhz"? Well, just going by mhz alone it should
be 7/2.8 = 2.5 times as fast. I've never touched one (but will in 3
weeks if all goes as planned) but according to real life situations...
well let me just quote from the March (yes the infamous March) issue
of Incider page 38:AWGS worth the wait? by Eric Grevstad "I tested a pre-
production model [of the Transwarp GS], and improvements such as scrolling a
layout in 2.5 seconds versus 6.0 seconds made the program [AWGS, the DTP
module to be precise] seem truly usable." If this is accurate then the
TWGS should be 6/2.5 = 2.4 times. I'm guessing it should be a solid twice
as fast in most operations.xP-I

                                           - Mark Cromwell

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (02/13/89)

In article <8902101108.aa18613@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU writes:

>     I just called AE yestereday. They said they would not be accepting
>orders or shipping for three weeks! When confronted with an advertizement
>stating that it was shipping now, she said that must have been a March
>issue. Well, the March issue comes out in Febraury! (A+ Magazine BTW)
>Why didn't they advertize they were shipping NOW in the April magazine?
>
>                                 - Mark Cromwell

	Though it sould like your talking about the Transwarp GS, by your
	header, you are talking about Sonic Blaster. Well, if they are holding
	back shipping, the must have messed up, Iva had mine for about 2 weeks
	now! (Read a couple of article back for a terrible review)

	dtroup@carroll1.UUCP
	SkunkWorks!