[comp.sys.apple] Passing commands to DOS 3.3

ST402281@BROWNVM.BITNET (John Moon) (02/11/89)

Does anyone know how to pass commands to DOS 3.3 from machine language?
I would like to be able to use the DOS 3.3 filesystem from machine
language. Thanks in advance!

John Moon
ST402281@BROWNVM (Bitnet)

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (02/13/89)

In article <8902101603.aa01184@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, ST402281@BROWNVM.BITNET (John Moon) writes:
> Does anyone know how to pass commands to DOS 3.3 from machine language?
> I would like to be able to use the DOS 3.3 filesystem from machine
> language. Thanks in advance!
>
> John Moon
> ST402281@BROWNVM (Bitnet)

    There is three tricks to do this under DOS 3.3. The first is to print the
command just like in AppleSoft. Remember though, the [Control-D] must be the
first character printed after a [Return], else DOS 3.3 will not detect it.

    The second is to get the book 'Beneath Apple DOS'. This book tells you
how DOS 3.3 is broken down into 3 parts, the command processor, the file
manager, and the rwts handler. You could make direct file manager calls if
you studied the book long enough.

    Third, use DOS 3.3's rwts (read/write-track/sector) and do all the file
management yourself.

Its up to you, but get the book.

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"