[comp.sys.apple] WHAT death of the Apple II?

>Date:         Tue, 24 Jan 89 05:33:06 EST
>From:         Ed Berlot <pnet01!pro-generic!edber@NOSC.MIL>
>Subject:      The death of the Apple //

>What seems to be the big fuss about the death of the Apple // line?

Have you stopped beating your spouse yet (yes or no)?

Same sort of question.  In other words, WHAT "death of the Apple II
line"?

>Consider the efforts that Apple has gone through to make the entire
>line of accessories identical to both the Apple // and the Mac line
>of computers.

Right, like the Apple 5.25 drives (can't be used with a Mac?), the
AppleColor RGB monitor (for the GS only), the Mac monitors (for
Macs only), the incompatible memory expansion kits, video cards,
network cards, Mac SE PC Drive card, Mac II PC Drive card, and the
Apple PC 5.25 Drive.

But there _are_ a lot of peripherals that work on both the Apple II
and Mac lines.  This seems to be an intelligent thing to do _whether
or not_ Apple intents to drop the Apple II line or the Mac line.  It
saves them money by reducing the number of products they need to
design, build, document, publicize, and educate people about.

>GSOS? OH you mean ProDOS 8 v1.7 and ProDOS 16 v2.0 don't  you? GS
>owners had to obtain GS OS through illict means since there was no
>Canadian release, until just before Christmas.

Well, System Disk 4.0 contains GS/OS 2.0 and ProDOS 8 v1.7, among
other things, yes.  It should have been available to you through
GEnie and by buying any commercial product that comes with GS/OS
(although I don't know whether commercial publishers typically
include the SYSTEM.TOOLS disk with their software, or whether they
just supply a minimally-configured startup disk).

>What does it boil down to? Apple US is seriously weighing te market,
>seeing what would happen if the Apple // was dropped? Notice that
>there has been little action on the // line since the GS was
>introduced? We've had a flurry of ProDOS releases, a new ROM, GS OS,
>a sped up //c (maybe a sped up //e?), but think that we've had 3 new
>Macs, a flurry of periphials, and promises of bigger and better
>Macs.

What is "little action"?  What do you _want_ them to do, release a
new GS every month?  "GS/OS" only takes 5 characters to write off as
something insignificant, but it's NIFTY, as will become more and
more apparent as more software is released that takes advantage of
GS/OS better.

I'm fairly _happy_ with the current GS hardware, and I'm looking
forward to more improvements in _software_:  especially improvements
that will let developers create GS software faster and easier.

>I say TOUGH. The market dictates what sells and what doesn't. A batch
>of die hards will not change corporate policy. If Apple means for the
>// line to die I can assure you, it will no matter what kind of
>howling, and protesting you can create.

That seems a bit contradictory to me.  The market dictates what
sells, except that corporate policy dictates what is for sale, and
nothing we can do will convince Apple to take our money?  The Apple
II _does_ sell, by the way.

> Edber@Pro-Generic             BIX: Edber      Genie :Edber

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (02/09/89)

I second the views of Dave, although the GS IS too slow for the graphics
interface in many cases.  A Transwarp GS would help, but that adds another
$400.00 to the price tag.  More to the point, however, given the work that
appears to have gone into GS/OS, it does not appear like Apple is about to
discontinue the II line.  I agree that the II and Mac lines may eventually
merge, which is fine.  No one should expect any personal computer to
continue for 10 years or more (a line might, but not a model).  A Mac,
introduced in 3-5 years, which ran II software would be the death of new
II software, but who cares?  By then I will have gotten years of use out
of my GS.  This is much like my old II, now used by my father.  Very little
new software will run on it, but that's to be expected in an 8 year old
machine.  It still runs the older programs fine, and the GS let me run most
old software while opening up whole new areas.  If Apple introduces a II
compatible Mac this year, and at the same time stops the Apple II (e, c+ and
GS) lines at the same time, then I would be upset, but eventually something
will replace the GS.  How different is a Mac that will run II software than
a GS that runs older II software?  You can't run a GS specific program on an
old II.

One last ramble:  I think another reason for poor software support for the GS
is the fact that there is still a large //e, //c base out there.  A vanilla
II version will run on any II, including a GS, whereas a GS version only
runs on the GS.  A company has to ask if it's worth it.  The same applies
to Mac II software.  The product must offer something really spectacular
to make it worthwhile to come out with a Mac II only version or product
(although it's easier to write Mac software that takes advantage of the
Mac II features when available than to write II software that takes advantage
of the GS features when available (there is no toolbox in a plain II)).

In conclusion:  Enough of this imminent death stuff.  I don't want a new
version of the GS every year, I couldn't afford to keep up (which is not
to say that we aren't about due for one around now, since it's been a few
years!).

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (02/13/89)

 On the subject of the death of the Apple //. Maybe the Apple is planning
on letting the //c and //e eventually fall and go with the Macs and the GS
and (hopefully) the GS+. Which is a logical move older technology will fall
to the newer things comming out. I don't think there is any immediate(sp?)
danger. There are still too many older Apple //s out there.

Robert
bitnet: RXBROWN@UALR
AppleLink: ROBPHD