[comp.sys.apple] INTBASIC; diff btw BRUN and BLOAD+CALL

>Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 89 07:52:34 GMT
>From:         Henk Uijterwaal <mcvax!np1!h75@UUNET.UU.NET>
>Subject:      Re: loading INTBASIC in DOS 3.3

>No, BLOADing a file and followed by a CALL to the first adress is exactly
>the same as BRUNning a file.

There are two differences (although I don't know whether they're
important in the case of LOADER.OBJ0).  First: during a BRUN, the
zero-page CSW and KSW hooks ($36-9) do not point to DOS; during a
CALL they do.  Second:  a BRUN with MON C,I,O mode turned on hangs
the system under most conditions.

>On my //e this command bloads INTbasic correctly:
>
> ] BLOAD INTBASIC, A$D000
>
>After you've done that, you can switch to INTbasic with the INT command
>and back to applesoft with FP

Yup, that will work _if_ the language card is write-enabled.  To make
sure it'll work, you'd have to twiddle $C08x location twice first.  I
don't remember which one off-hand.  The HELLO program on the _older_
DOS 3.3 System Masters (before they came up with the faster
LOADER.OBJ0) demonstrates it.

>Henk Uijterwaal

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) (02/13/89)

When trying to load Integer BASIC into the language card, it's very
important to make sure that you also have a copy of the Monitor ROM
there.  Simply BLOADing INTBASIC (with the language card write-enabled)
will do the trick with older System Master disks, but the more recent
ones do not include an image of the Monitor ROM in the disk file.  (You
will notice that INTBASIC files on new System Masters are a few sectors
shorter than INTBASIC files on old ones.)  This was done since the II+,
IIe, and IIc all have different Monitors.  The LOADER.OBJ0 program
simply copies the Monitor from ROM into RAM after loading INTBASIC.

You can do this yourself, too; just write-enable the language card
(while leaving the ROM read-enabled), then type CALL -151, then type
F800<F800.FFFFM.

/\
  \/  Jerry Kindall

--
Jerry Kindall  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!10!Jerry.Kindall