[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS Kermit Problems

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (02/08/89)

shawn@pnet51 writes:
>I beleive you'll have to procure a ProDOS version of Kermit 3.85.

Kermit 3.85 was designed to specifically run under both environments.
When you receive the install programs (APP385.1 and APP385.2) they are
text files.  The first file is exec'd on a DOS 3.3 slave disk (meaning
no DOS on the disk itself) containing both of the text files and NOTHING
else.  Then you need to copy the main program and all of the config
files over to a ProDOS disk to operate the thing under ProDOS.  This is
DESCRIBED IN DETAIL in the Kermit documentation sheet, available via
listserv or FTP at a NUMBER of places.

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/10/89)

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>shawn@pnet51 writes:
>>I beleive you'll have to procure a ProDOS version of Kermit 3.85.
>
>Kermit 3.85 was designed to specifically run under both environments.

Yes, I know that now.  And it's been explained to me that Kermit 3.85 uses
Applesoft hooks to perform file I/O, so it doesn't have to know which OS it's
running under.

Please, people.  Don't respond just to respond.  I think there are at least
three public net messages outlining the fact that I am now informed correctly.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) (02/10/89)

> Kermit uses Applesoft hooks to do file I/O

Applesoft doesn't have any "hooks" to do file I/O... that's all handled
by DOS 3.3 or BASIC.SYSTEM (ProDOS).

It's possible that Kermit was designed to determine which OS was
installed and then run under either by having separate "drivers" for
the two OS's.  (I am using the term "drivers" here very loosely... I
mean routines that open, close, etc files under the two OS's.)  But it
wouldn't be done by calling Applesoft routines.

/\
  \/  Jerry Kindall

--
Jerry Kindall  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!10!Jerry.Kindall

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/14/89)

Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) writes:
>> Kermit uses Applesoft hooks to do file I/O
>
>Applesoft doesn't have any "hooks" to do file I/O... that's all handled
>by DOS 3.3 or BASIC.SYSTEM (ProDOS).

My apologies.  I thought I might get in trouble with that statement.  I should
have said, the DOS I/O hooks that Applesoft makes use of.

>It's possible that Kermit was designed to determine which OS was
>installed and then run under either by having separate "drivers" for
>the two OS's.  (I am using the term "drivers" here very loosely... I
>mean routines that open, close, etc files under the two OS's.)  But it
>wouldn't be done by calling Applesoft routines.

I thought that was likely, too.  However, I've been informed that it really
does use the same methods as Applesoft.  All you have to do is supply the
proper output for performing }ithe "OPEN", "WRITE", "READ", "CLOSE", etc.
commands, just as you would via Applesoft PRINT statements.