[comp.sys.apple] AppleWorks strangles on huge memory cards

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (02/07/89)

The latest issue of A2~Central, in the "Ask Uncle DOS" column talks
about AppleWorks 2.1 dying a violent death if there is a standard slot
card with more than 2 megabytes of memory present.

Question: Has anyone found a workaround?

Question: When is the (free) AppleWorks 2.2 coming out to fix this
          problem?

This should be a problem for a growing number of people as the cost
of memory goes down and the sales of GS RAM+ cards goes up.
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (02/11/89)

I have two enhanced //e both of which have 3Mb Applied Engineering RamWorks
cards and seem to run AppleWorks 2.1 o.k. I have had some problems with
certain TimeOut enhancements on the AppleWorks 2.1 which was expanded for
RamWorks with Applied Engineering's AW 2 Expander 3.0.1, which I bought from
AE specifically for AppleWorks 2.1. In particular, Timeout Paint and
Sidespread do not work correctly. I had assumed that the problem was the
AE AW Expander 3.0.1, since the same Timeout enhancements work fine with
AppleWorks 2.1 on a //c with 384Kb. However, perhaps it's really the memory.

Has anyone else encountered problems with AppleWorks 2.1 expanded for
AE RamWorks with AW Expander 3.0.1, and Timeout Enhancements?

p.s. The same Sidespread works fine with AppleWorks 2.0 expanded with
AE AW Expander 2.5.2 on the 3Mb //e. Paint, unfortunately, works only with
AppleWorks 2.1.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/12/89)

In article <8902110055.AA13859@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> I have two enhanced //e both of which have 3Mb Applied Engineering RamWorks
> cards and seem to run AppleWorks 2.1 o.k. I have had some problems with
> certain TimeOut enhancements on the AppleWorks 2.1 which was expanded for
> RamWorks with Applied Engineering's AW 2 Expander 3.0.1, which I bought from
> AE specifically for AppleWorks 2.1. In particular, Timeout Paint and
> Sidespread do not work correctly. I had assumed that the problem was the
> AE AW Expander 3.0.1, since the same Timeout enhancements work fine with
> AppleWorks 2.1 on a //c with 384Kb. However, perhaps it's really the memory.

Bruce the problem is that applied engineering doens't want to tell the
beagle brothers where the clipboard has been moved.  My Paint works fine
except when i try to save something to the clipboard.  (the prob there is
that TO Paint and AE expanded clipboard share the same spot in memory).

There is no problem using the Timeout stuff and the Checkmate expander.

What we all should do is write letters to applied engineering complaining to
them that they should give out the information about there expander to
the Beagle Brothers.  If someone really wanted to copy the AE expander all
you would have to do is dissasemble it and try to figure out what is going
on.

Vince

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (02/14/89)

My problems occur without trying to save files to the clipboard. Today, the
PAINT stopped working on my //c. I'm going to rebuild an AppleWorks system
disk tonight, use Ultramacros v2.0 and Timeout v2.1 on it, add a virgin
copy of PAINT, and see what happens tomorrow.

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/14/89)

In article <8902140105.AA02732@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> My problems occur without trying to save files to the clipboard. Today, the
> PAINT stopped working on my //c. I'm going to rebuild an AppleWorks system
> disk tonight, use Ultramacros v2.0 and Timeout v2.1 on it, add a virgin
> copy of PAINT, and see what happens tomorrow.

I think the problem is the Applied engineering patch doesn't work correctly
with appleworks 2.1.  Everything i had worked well untill i switched to version
2.1.  With version 2.0 all was well.

What we have to to is start complaining to AE and get them to give the beagle
brothers the information they need about there patch to appleworks (I mean
the AW expander v3.01)

Vince