[comp.sys.apple] dos 3.3

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (12/08/87)

So far... (sorry, folks my mailer doesn't have one of those handy
   name and id-tag extractors; I do the best I can with obsolecent
   <IBM> equipment).

->IBM is also at version 3.3.  Does this mean that this will be the last
->update of MS-DOS, or is this just a coincidence?

->Premature to predict the end of IBM's dominance of desktop computing,

It appears that MS-DOS also stops at 3.3 which has nothing to do with
whether IBM dominates desktop computing (I thought the PC market was
dominated by Asian clone makers anyway).

Apple has ProDOS, IBM has OS/2 (supposed to be on retail shelves this
month -- memory hog -- has anyone actually seen a copy?).  It appears
it'll be 6 months to a year before anything other than demoware that
actually requires OS/2 will be around)

CP/M may have been a "serious" operating system (for cost effective
CP/M it made more sense to buy a Z80 computer), but I've been quite
serious using DOS 3.3 for some years now (shoot I can remember when
32K was a BIG mainframe).  I'm saving my $$$ for a Mac II+ (the 68030
machine); meanwhile I continue plinking away on Apple II and let
the big number cruncher (IBM mainframe) do the big stuff.

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

lc@pbhyd.UUCP (Larry Colton) (12/08/87)

In article <8712080914.aa24999@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>  {stuff deleted}
>It appears that MS-DOS also stops at 3.3 which has nothing to do with
>  {more deleted}

Nah... MS-DOS 3.4 and 3.5 have already been discussed (if not announced).
3.4 is to fix bugs and 3.5 to add a a feature or two.

The real question is: who cares?  This is the Apple newsgroup, right?  :-)

---
Larry Colton                      {ihnp4,pyramid,qantel}!ptsfa!pbhyd!lc
Pacific * Bell                                                San Diego

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (02/13/88)

>Chris, Glen Bredon (Pro Sel author) has a shareware program that lets you
>set up DOS 3.3 volumes on both 3.5 and hard disks.  It's available on
>Compuserve, as is documentation.  I have used it on 3.5" disks (5 old
>DOS disks on each), and now that I've used it awhile with no problems I
>will move the stuff over to my hard disk (even with back-ups, I'm careful
>what I do with anything holding 10 Megs of programs and data (my HD20 is
>half full at present)).
>Hope this helps!

What is the program called?  Also for those of us who don't have compuserve
is there any other place to get it.  Maybe someone could send it to
APPLE2-L????

Chris

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (02/14/88)

I believe the program comes when one buys ProSEL from Glen Bredon. For a
3.5 disk, at least the ProSel programs UNI.HEADER and UNI.FORMAT are
available. UNI.FORMAT will format a 3.5 disk such that 1/4 of the volume
is DOS3.3 (or 100% ProDOS if you prefer). Instructions are provided to
use UNI.HEADER to create a version of DOS3.3 that will work on 3.5 disks.
Note that the resultant operating system, UNO.DOS, can be run only from
ProSel (which is itself a good thing to have).

There is no specific mention of hard disks in my ProSel documentation for
UNI.HEADER. There is discussion of hard disks with reference to DOS.HEADER,
a program that allows DOS3.3 programs to be run from Prosel.

For more info: Glen E. Bredon, 521 State Road, Princeton NJ 08540. ProSel
costs $40. The current version, v3.3, fixes the "wrong day of the week in
1988 display" problem.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:rochester!cornell!batcomputer!halp                               |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/29/88)

Interesting that you should mention this.  I have been discussion distribution
of software with several folks, and Glen is one of these people!  The
package that you ask about is called DOS.MASTER.  It allows one to partition
a 3.5" into a DOS 3.3 partition and a ProDos partition.  I havent gotten the
software, so I dont know how many DOS 3.3 partitions there are, but I believe
htat each is a max of 40 track 5.25" number of blocks...

Anyways, the REAL crux of the matter is that Glen, F. Zink (author of BLU),
Neil Shaprio, Jason Harper, etc. seem to feel that if an author has a copyright
on their software, then one should NEVER post it to another network without getting
the author's permission first.  This is a part of the author's defense of their
copyright, and that if an author doesnt do this, they could be in danger of
losing their copyright status.

Thus, if you DO plan on sending CIS downloaded software to Apple2-L, etc.,
please be sure to see if the author has provided prior permission to do so
within their doc - if not, then contact the author for permission.  It is only
right that if an author has taken the time and trouble to write software that
their rights be protected.

P.S.  Since I cannot get messages thru to the Bitnet servers, I will be unable
to post all the wonderful programs that I get from CIS.  Sorry folks, if we
just had a comp.binaries.apple I could post things there and someone on Bitnet
could forward them along...

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/13/89)

to execute a dos command from assembly
just prefix it with a ctrl-d and after the command send a ctrl-m

Remember, this  is for DOS 3.3 only...

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (02/16/89)

In article <8902122043.AA06380@wpi>, GREYELF@WPI.BITNET writes:
> to execute a dos command from assembly
> just prefix it with a ctrl-d and after the command send a ctrl-m
>
> Remember, this  is for DOS 3.3 only...

Back in 1980, I ported a "tiny" Pascal compiler (found in Byte Magazine,
written in BASIC) to the Apple II.  In order to perform any file access
from my Pascal programs (which had an Assembly language runtime environment)
I had to prefix the CTRL-D with a CTRL-M.  It seemed that whenever the last
character typed before a DOS command prefix (CTRL-D) was not a carriage
return, the command was ignored.

--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822       | Do YOU get nervous when a
paul@Atherton.COM                       | sys{op,adm,prg,engr} says