[comp.sys.apple] APPLE and IBM Keyboards

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (02/15/89)

Anyone have a idea as to how the IBM keyboard would interface on the Apple
IIgs?  Seems that one would just have to figure out how the ADB works, then
'wire' up the connectors, no?

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (02/16/89)

In article <8902151736.AA21356@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.mil writes:
>Anyone have a idea as to how the IBM keyboard would interface on the Apple
>IIgs?  Seems that one would just have to figure out how the ADB works, then
>'wire' up the connectors, no?

I don't know too much about the actual specific of ADB, but I think that the
project you suggest is more complicated than you think. ADB is more then a
couple of wires; it is a *VERY* local area network. There is a whole protocol
involved that has the host query devices attached to it. There are several
commands involved that use several registers. In effect ADB devices can also
be programmed into modes. To handle all of this, we designed and put ADB
controller chips into our keyboards and mice. So it sounds like this is more
than just a weekend task. However, it is not beyond the reach of possibility
that some hardware developer can or already has done this.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions