[comp.sys.apple] disks from MEI are fine

>Date:         Sun, 12 Feb 89 06:30:09 GMT
>From:         David Quarles <pdn!boake2!jc3b21!david@UUNET.UU.NET>
>Subject:      Re: 1.44M disks
>
>>[...] MEI has been offering 3.5" disks for .79 ea in lots of
>> 25 for some time (some shipping charges are added, not much). If
>> anyone wants to check them out, the number is 1-800-634-3478.
>
>I understand the failure rate on these is pretty high ...

I have ordered about 1000 disks from MEI over the last couple of
years, and all of them have been good.

Please explain your statement.  You _understand_ that the failure
rate is high?  Have you had any problems?  Has someone you know had
problems?  How many?  Was MEI willing to replace the bad ones?

The only problems I've had with 3.5" disks are (1) having the post
office crush them when I mail them in regular envelopes; (2) having
a bad _drive_ trash them [for a couple days I _thought_ I had some
bad disks when they wouldn't format, but after _all_ the disks I
used in that drive started becoming bad, I took the hint and got the
drive repaired].

Disclaimer:  I don't work for MEI or anything...I just buy disks,
disk mailers, ribbons, paper, and disk boxes from them.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (02/17/89)

In article <8902141244.aa23412@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
> >From:         David Quarles <pdn!boake2!jc3b21!david@UUNET.UU.NET>
> >
> >I understand the failure rate on these is pretty high ...
>
> I have ordered about 1000 disks from MEI over the last couple of
> years, and all of them have been good.

I've been using their 5-1/4 inch diskettes for some years, and I have not
had any lose data or fail to format, except for the one that had an
obvious manufacturing defect:  It had not been polished.  (It's really
strange to see streaks of metal oxides on a diskette...)

I recommend visually inspecting each diskette you get from them, but if it
looks OK, it probably will be fine.

--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822       | Do YOU get nervous when a
paul@Atherton.COM                       | sys{op,adm,prg,engr} says