[comp.sys.apple] UniDisk3.5/Apple3.5 interleave, etc.

>Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 89 21:23:15 GMT
>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
>Subject:      Unidisks vs. Apple3.5
>
>My //gs system came with Unidisk3.5 instead of the Apple3.5
>
>I know that the Unidisk is not capable of 2:1 interleave and thus
>some software packages will not run with the device.

The UniDisk 3.5 _is_ capable of 2:1 interleave.  For that matter,
it's capable of any interleave from 1:1 to 12:1, just like the Apple
3.5.  Interleave refers to the order in which blocks on a track are
arranged.  1:1 interleave means that the blocks follow in sequence.
This would be bad, because the computer would have extremely little
time to process a block before the next one was ready to read--it
would "miss" the block and have to wait nearly one full rotation of
the disk to read the next block.

With 2:1 interleave, there is one out-of-sequence block between every
pair of sequential blocks, so the blocks might be in an order like 0
8 1 9 2 A 3 B 4 C 5 D 6 E 7 F.  With 4:1 interleave, there are 3
blocks in between each pair of sequential blocks, like 0 4 8 C 1 5 9
D 2 6 A E 3 7 B F.

The Apple 3.5 is directly controlled by the computer; the ROM reads
straight from the disk into memory.  The UniDisk 3.5 has a processor
and ROM and RAM of its own; it reads the disk into internal RAM and
then transfers the info to the computer.  This isn't as fast.  The
result is that if you use 2:1 interleave with a UniDisk 3.5, the
next block you want will have just gone by if you're reading the
blocks in order (which is typical under ProDOS).

4:1 interleave is always recommended with UniDisk 3.5 drives; with
2:1 you can only read about 6 blocks a second.

4:1 interleave is generally recommended under ProDOS 8 even for Apple
3.5 drives, but in some cases 2:1 may be better.  A block-by-block
disk copy program has no trouble keeping up with 2:1 interleave under
ProDOS 8, but file-level stuff has more housekeeping to do & doesn't
always keep up (meaning things can go slow; they still work
correctly).

2:1 interleave for Apple 3.5 drives is recommended under GS/OS.
(4:1 is recommended for ProDOS 16, although ProDOS 16 is not
recommended.)

Programs which bypass the operating system and go right to the
hardware to read the Apple 3.5 disk don't work with the UnidDisk
3.5, since the UniDisk 3.5 can't be directly accessed that way.

>If I sell it, will it work on a Macintosh?

Nope.  (Even if you don't sell it, it won't work on a Macintosh.)

>And how good are the Laser 3.5 drives? Are they compatible with the
>Apple 3.5 drives or do they have similar problems with the Unidisk?

Copy-protected software that doesn't work with the UniDisk 3.5
probably won't work with the Laser 3.5 drives either.  Unprotected
software should be fine.  I don't know what interleave the Lasers
can handle efficiently, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was
different from the UniDisk--count on 4:1, not 2:1.

>jerry
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (arpa)
>r746jm7e@cmccvb (bitnet)

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons