[comp.sys.apple] Z-Link and //c serial printer port

jordan%lvvm6.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) (02/13/89)

In Message <14568@cup.portal.com>, Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@CUP.PORTAL.COM
asked about a problem running Z-Link on a //c using port 1 (the printer port).
I don't have a //c, so I can't confirm this, but could it be a port setting
problem? Try using the system utilities Set Serial Port option to configure
the port for modem operations, as opposed to printer (if such an option is
available). Good luck with it.

							Rich

<jordan%lvva.span@sds.sdsc.edu>
BIX:	richjordan (Rarely there)
GEnie:	BARRACUDA

Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com (02/14/89)

To reply to those people who have sent me mail/conference replies about
setting Port 1 to printer instead of Modem mode, this does NOT work.
Z-link (methinks) uses the hardware, anyway, so it wouldn't make any
difference. Sigh, it would have been so nice...

%%%%
 Geva
  %%%%

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/16/89)

In article <14622@cup.portal.com> Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com writes:
>To reply to those people who have sent me mail/conference replies about
>setting Port 1 to printer instead of Modem mode, this does NOT work.
>Z-link (methinks) uses the hardware, anyway, so it wouldn't make any
>difference. Sigh, it would have been so nice...
>
>%%%%
> Geva
>  %%%%

To clarify even more, I have some hot info from the author himself
(me): The problem will be solved mighty soon. I do use the hardware,
and switching between one slot and the other is a matter of changing
which address to use. A fix will be posted soon.

Dave Whitney	Third year undergraduate student in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link. Send me bug reports.           I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

In article <9272@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>In article <14622@cup.portal.com> Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com writes:
>>To reply to those people who have sent me mail/conference replies about
>>setting Port 1 to printer instead of Modem mode, this does NOT work.
>
>To clarify even more, I have some hot info from the author himself
>(me): The problem will be solved mighty soon. I do use the hardware,
>and switching between one slot and the other is a matter of changing
>which address to use. A fix will be posted soon.

To clarify to full tilt: if you have a bug report, please send it to
me by e-mail. My ability to read news comes and goes (Project Athena
is somewhat flakey), so posting bug reports to the net isn't good
enough. I happened to catch a complaint that Z-Link wouldn't work on a
//c using slot 1. This bug report went over comp.binaries.apple2 - the
very last place it should have gone.

Anyway, to make you all feel better, I found and fixed the bug. Z-Link
oughta work on a //c using slot 1. For that matter, it ought to work
in a //e using any slot. When I made things slot-flexible, I forgot to
take out this one bit of hardwired code. Oops. Everything should be
just ducky now.

I will post in BinSCII format from now on. I will most likely pack the
files together with Shrinkit, as it does a better job of compression.
If Shrinkit hasn't made the rounds, then somebody better tell me. I
missed a lot of news (about 3 weeks), so I don't know the new
popularity. In case you don't have BinSCII, don't worry - I'll send
that out in EXECUTIONER format this weekend after I write the docs for
it.

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (toth@tellab2 (Tellabs, Inc., - Lisle, Il.)) (02/16/89)

In article <9272@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
> In article <14622@cup.portal.com> Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com writes:
> >To reply to those people who have sent me mail/conference replies about
> >setting Port 1 to printer instead of Modem mode, this does NOT work.
> >Z-link (methinks) uses the hardware, anyway, so it wouldn't make any
> >difference. Sigh, it would have been so nice...

Hoping not to muddle the  situation too much;

I operate using an Enhanced Apple //e using a Apple SSC for modem
operations, therefore what I say might not apply directly to a //c.

I was under the impression that the modes were Printer/Terminal, and had
little to do with whether a modem was attached.

The SSC containes a block that gets reversed (making a NULL Modem
connection) to allow the computer to talk to a modem or terminal.
Then, setting the above mentioned 'mode' allowed the terminal to
be used to control the processor (rather than the keyboard).

Since there might not be (and I don't think there is) a block on the
motherboard of the //c to provide the NULL Modem interface, buying (or
making) a NULL Modem Interface and connecting it between your modem
and the end of the cable that connects to the //c port might work.

> Dave Whitney	Third year undergraduate student in Computer Science at MIT
> I wrote Z-Link. Send me bug reports.        I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.

I also have tried using Z-Link with a Hayes compatible modem.
I really would like to use it, but it hasn't passed the first step of my
evaluation.  I set up the config file, and then edited the macros to provide
autodial macros to the systems I connect to;

One of them i in the form:
    atdt<phone number>,,,,,<access number>;h

which dials the number, waits 10 seconds  (2 for each comma), sends the
access number, and then hangs up.  I wait for my phone to ring, then I
issue an 'adt' command to connect for my session.

It dials OK, but then munges up the access number (Missing digits).
This command works fine from the Kermit modem selection menu (so I don't
see this being a hardware problem)

You say that when somebody hasn't paid (I will when I get a copy
where this works), their problems go to the bottom of your fix list.
I hope that in some cases you make exceptions.
--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/17/89)

In article <1233@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (toth@tellab2 (Tellabs, Inc., - Lisle, Il.)) writes:

>I also have tried using Z-Link with a Hayes compatible modem.
>I really would like to use it, but it hasn't passed the first step of my
>evaluation.  I set up the config file, and then edited the macros to provide
>autodial macros to the systems I connect to;
>
>One of them is in the form:
>    atdt<phone number>,,,,,<access number>;h
>
>which dials the number, waits 10 seconds  (2 for each comma), sends the
>access number, and then hangs up.  I wait for my phone to ring, then I
>issue an 'adt' command to connect for my session.
>
>It dials OK, but then munges up the access number (Missing digits).
>This command works fine from the Kermit modem selection menu (so I don't
>see this being a hardware problem)

Does issuing the command "atdt1234567,,,,,54321" cause the modem to
dial 1234567, wait 10 secs, and then *dial* 54321, or does it
*transmit* "54321"?  If it's supposed to dial-wait-dial, then I can't
immediately think of what might be the problem. If it's supposed to
dial-wait-xmit, then the safe way to do this is:

atdt1234567<CR><OA-A>CONNECT<CR>54321

this would dial the modem and then sit and wait for the CONNECT string
before proceeding.

I am assuming from your description that you actually have 2 computers
with modems - one calls the other for your test. Is this correct?

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT