[comp.sys.apple] 65C02 into a ][

secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM ("Richard C. Secrist") (02/10/89)

Although you won't blow anything up swapping your 6502 for a 65C02 in your
][, ][+, //e, it may not work in an older box.  I bought a 65C02 for my
][ (Rev. 0, s/n 4002, 11 years old with FP ROMs) and it wouldn't work
presumably because of timing problems or something (it just laid there),
but the same chip made my //e happy.  Sigh.

rcs

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (02/14/89)

In article <8902092146.AA26847@decwrl.dec.com>, secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM ("Richard C. Secrist") writes:

> Although you won't blow anything up swapping your 6502 for a 65C02 in your
> ][, ][+, //e, it may not work in an older box.  I bought a 65C02 for my
> ][ (Rev. 0, s/n 4002, 11 years old with FP ROMs) and it wouldn't work
> presumably because of timing problems or something (it just laid there),

Well, I put one in a Franklin Ace 1000 and it appeared to work fine.  However
it doesn't do a whole lot of good without the 128k that most enhanced programs
require anyways.

Also, a little while back, some people on the net were posting about getting
ProDOS to work with Franklins.  Well, since all the versions of ProDOS were
not accounted for, I just wrote a little program that will look through what
ever version of ProDOS you have 1.0 up to ProDOS 8 v1.7.  It found the
correct patch address in all cases.  If anyone would like a copy of it, let me
know and if I see the interest is there, I will upload it to
comp.binaries.apple.

Later - Dan Vachon      {ucbvax}!ihnp4!drutx!dvac

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/19/89)

In article <10315@drutx.ATT.COM> dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) writes:
| In article <8902092146.AA26847@decwrl.dec.com>,
| secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM ("Richard C. Secrist") writes:
| |
| | Although you won't blow anything up swapping your 6502 for a 65C02 in your
| | ][, ][+, //e, it may not work in an older box.  I bought a 65C02 for my
| | ][ (Rev. 0, s/n 4002, 11 years old with FP ROMs) and it wouldn't work
| | presumably because of timing problems or something (it just laid there),
|
| Well, I put one in a Franklin Ace 1000 and it appeared to work fine.  However
| it doesn't do a whole lot of good without the 128k that most enhanced programs
| require anyways.

In the October and November issues of Apple Assembly Line, there was some
discussion about a modification made to allow the use of the 65C02 in an
older Apple II+.

However, seems to me that you probably would have less compatibility problems
with the 65802 and would STILL get 65C02 codes PLUS all the new 16bit code.

          [david]

--
======== David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI :::: The Stainless Steel Rat ========
FidoNet: 1:121/1 or 1:121/2            {decvax|att}!

In article <498@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
| In the October and November issues of Apple Assembly Line, there was some
| discussion about a modification made to allow the use of the 65C02 in an
| older Apple II+.

OOPS!  That is the October and November * 1985 * issues.. Forgetting
to tell what year is NOT GOOD.... Sorry!

      [david]