[comp.sys.apple] Tapes, Apple Archives

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/11/89)

Some quick questions:

1) Anybody know what happened to Applied Ingenuity's internal hard drive?
   Somebody reviewed theirs but have not been able to find any adds on it.

2) Does anybody know of any companies that sell/make/etc 9-track tape drives
   for the Apple (gs specifically)?  Specifically, I'm interested in finding
   a company that makes a tape drive I can use with the gs (with gsos if
   possible), handles 6250 bpi, and if it can do/comes with a tar program
   that'd be perfect.  I'm interested in this in order to be able to transfer
   stuff from the UNIX machines here to my computer with as much ease as
   possible and a lot of stuff at that.  Also with companies such as Rodime
   making 140Meg drives for $1300, a nice 9-track tape drive shud be able to
   handle backups also (lot easier than umpteen hundred 3.5 disks).

3) FTP/Archive sites:

   I know of these sites:
	35.1.1.43
	128.163.128.6
	128.103.1.56 : never managed to get into this one, although
			i have connected, just nothing else
	LISTSERV@BROWNVM

   Of these sites, if I send whoever is in charge a tape with list of
   what I'd like, will any of you site owner/moderators/whatever save
   them to tape and send it back to me?  or do I have to go thru just
   regular channels?

4) APPLE2-L:
   I've heard a lot about being on the mailing list for this or whatever.
   Does being on the "list" entitle you to anything special?  Is anything
   going to be on that list that I can't get from just using mail to GET
   stuff from there?  How do I go about getting on this list anyways?
   And how do I use interactive commands (somebody said this could be done)
   to get files from there?

kareth.

p.s.  i don't know who's in charge of any of these groups cept for Todd Bakal
being in charge of recieving questions for 35.1.1.43 so I'm posting this.
BTW, Todd, could you send me some instructions bout how to ftp off your group,
seems I couldn't get stuff to come across cept in image/binary mode and then
that file was pure garbage anyways.  Lately, I can't even open a connection
for getting an 'ls' from there ither.

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (System Administrator) (02/13/89)

mentor.cc.purdue.edu!asd (Dareth) writes:

>Some quick questions:

>1) Anybody know what happened to Applied Ingenuity's internal hard drive?
>   Somebody reviewed theirs but have not been able to find any adds on it.

They still have ads in the major magazines.  Check out the inside front cover
of the March InCider magazine.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (02/13/89)

Applied Ingenuity advertises regularly in InCider, often on an inside cover.
I don't have an issue handy or I'd give you the address.  Latest add features
someone rapelling (no, not repelling).

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (02/20/89)

In article <1281@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>Some quick questions:
>
>2) Does anybody know of any companies that sell/make/etc 9-track tape drives
>   for the Apple (gs specifically)?  Specifically, I'm interested in finding
>   a company that makes a tape drive I can use with the gs (with gsos if
>   possible), handles 6250 bpi, and if it can do/comes with a tar program
>   that'd be perfect.  I'm interested in this in order to be able to transfer
>   stuff from the UNIX machines here to my computer with as much ease as
>   possible and a lot of stuff at that.  Also with companies such as Rodime
>   making 140Meg drives for $1300, a nice 9-track tape drive shud be able to
>   handle backups also (lot easier than umpteen hundred 3.5 disks).

6250 bpi?  Last I heard, they were going in excess of $50,000.  On the
otherhand, for $3000, you can get exabyte, which is 8mm video tape which
hold about 2.2 gigabytes of data.  The tapes cost $8, vs. $15 for a mag
tape.

seems to me a little odd to want to shell out gob's o cash to get stuff
from your unix machines.  But, hey, if you got a *lot* of stuff to move...

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET