[comp.sys.apple] APPLE ][+ / ShrinkIt

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (02/20/89)

The comments in this message are mine and are not those of the author of
ShrinkIt, Andy Nicholas. Flames are unnecessary as I don't respond to same.

The argument on GEnie about lack of Apple ][+ and unenhanced //e support by
ShrinkIt is ridiculous. How much Apple ][+ runnable programming is available
these days anyway? And those that have an Apple //e and haven't spent the
approximately $50 (mail order) cost of upgrade to an enhanced //e are a
minority. Apple Computer (tm) is the one committed to =BACKWARD= compatiblity
(i.e. everything that now works on the latest will work on machine #1 too) not
=REASONABLE= people or even programmers (made myself smile on that one...).
I have two Apple ][+s and an Apple //e enhanced (and a Xerox 6065...) and I
have never insisted that MacIntosh or IIgs programming work on the equipment I
own and use. By the same token, why should Andy have to make his program work
on 40 column/][+/etc equipment?? The fact that he intends to do so is a
another plus for him... but he doesn't have to... and if I had his programming
"smarts" I certainly wouldn't feel I had to... and being the person I am
(well, my mother still loves me) I wouldn't. Just because there are still
people out there running <gasp> DOS 3.3 (and earlier.. can you believe it?)
doesn't mean Andy should have to design a DOS version of ShrinkIt too. Face
it people... just because -you- are in love with an OLD, out-of-date piece of
hardware doean't mean that Andy ( =OR= Floyd Zink or anyone else) has to write
programming for it. What it means is you can't use it. There's lots of things
you can't use so why pick on ShrinkIt?

With ShrinkIt 1.0 in the mail and 1.1 in the works you guys "ain't seen
nuthing yet!".... And for those of you that love the ][+ so darned much, I
have two of them I'd love to sell (no... this is not a FOR SALE message on the
Info-Apple net) and you can see my address at the end of this message.

/steve
system manager

| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider                APPLELINK : sschneider |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil       COMPU$ERVE: 75166,2544 |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com              GENIE     : sschneider |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/20/89)

In article <8902200536.AA15596@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil writes:
>Apple Computer (tm) is the one committed to =BACKWARD= compatiblity
>(i.e. everything that now works on the latest will work on machine #1 too) not

Backward compatibility means anything working on the OLDEST will work on
the NEWEST.  To suppose any other method would be ludicrous and hopelessly
insane.  Far as I know, Apple has ALWAYS tried to maintain compatibility
with OLDER machines while offering more/newer things that the OLD machines
WOULDN'T be able to use.

kareth.