[comp.sys.apple] QUOTE W/O COMMENT

dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") (02/11/89)

From a READ.ME file in TN.AIIE.BQY downloaded from GEnie.

"We were unable to convert the IIe Technical Note graphics to
anything which could be read in any Apple II or IIGS format,
so the disk files include references to TN.AIIe.00x.Graphics
files where x is the number of the Technical Note. These
Graphics files are Macintosh-format PICT files created in
MacDraw.

If you would like a paper copy of the IIe Technical Notes
with the graphics, you may either purchase them from APDA
or call the Developer Group Hotline (if you are a certified
developer) and ask them to send you a copy.  Please see
your most recent developer mailing for the Hotline telephone
number.

Apple II Developer Technical Support"

labc-3dc@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (02/11/89)

In article <890210094744.274e@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV> dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") writes:
>From a READ.ME file in TN.AIIE.BQY downloaded from GEnie.
>
>"We were unable to convert the IIe Technical Note graphics to
>anything which could be read in any Apple II or IIGS format,
[stuff deleted]
>Apple II Developer Technical Support"

Amazing.  The people who are supposed to be assisting the developers aren't
aware of *any* programs in the Apple community that can do this.

I can sort of understand this, assuming that the pictures are too large to
fit on a single screen.  In this case, it makes more sense to leave them
as they are and let people decode them themselves.

[for those of you who don't know, I believe MacDown, SHR Convert, and something
called "The Graphics Exchange" will convert MacPaint -> Apple II format]

--
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson) (02/12/89)

In article <20236@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> labc-3dc@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) writes:
>In article <890210094744.274e@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV> dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") writes:
>>From a READ.ME file in TN.AIIE.BQY downloaded from GEnie.
>>
>>"We were unable to convert the IIe Technical Note graphics to
>>anything which could be read in any Apple II or IIGS format,
>[stuff deleted]
>>Apple II Developer Technical Support"
>
>Amazing.  The people who are supposed to be assisting the developers aren't
>aware of *any* programs in the Apple community that can do this.

Trust me.  You can try converting them yourself, but you won't like the
results, especially the full-page graphics in IIe #3...  We decided we
liked quality better.  If you order the disk files from APDA, they are
including the paper copies of the IIe Notes so you get the graphics.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN (02/12/89)

y P. Dowst") writes:
>From a READ.ME file in TN.AIIE.BQY downloaded from GEnie.

[for those of you who don't know, I believe MacDown, SHR Convert, and something
called "The Graphics Exchange" will convert MacPaint -> Apple II format]

--
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
Well Andy and anone else If you read the note carefully you will
note that the pictures were in MCDRAW format.  Boy would I like to
find a program that can convert those to a GS.  The did check if
you have been reading a while back.

Grant

labc-3dc@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (02/13/89)

In article <2977*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN writes:
[the usual stuff whacked]

>Well Andy and anone else If you read the note carefully you will
>note that the pictures were in MCDRAW format.  Boy would I like to
>find a program that can convert those to a GS.  The did check if
>you have been reading a while back.

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Apparently someone did manage to
convert the drawings, but they looked terrible.  Perhaps you should address
your question to Apple II DTS...

[in my original posting, I mentioned that it would be reasonable to leave them
in their original format if the conversions looked terrible.  It seems that
this was the case.]

--
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (02/21/89)

In article <25643@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson) writes:
>>>"We were unable to convert the IIe Technical Note graphics to
>>>anything which could be read in any Apple II or IIGS format, . . . "

>Trust me.  You can try converting them yourself, but you won't like the
>results, especially the full-page graphics in IIe #3...  We decided we
>liked quality better.  If you order the disk files from APDA, they are
>including the paper copies of the IIe Notes so you get the graphics.
>
>Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson

What I would really like to get is at least the postscript file, if not the
mac file itself.  I would prefere the postscript file, as it would be
"trivial" for me to "include" the postscript in a "TeX" file.  It strikes me
as odd that you are distributing all these notes, which is a good thing,
with the strict assumption that no one with a GS could send, GASP,
relatively raw postscript to a laserwriter.  Granted, there are goodies that
are "there" in the LW the make is sorta odd, but you can scroung them up.
I saw, send along the postscript.  And yeah, I know it will be huge.  So
compress and uuencode the thing.

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET