[comp.sys.apple] PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX SYSTEM

bobr@netcom.UUCP (Bob Rieger) (02/08/89)

NetCom Services is offering accounts on a UNIX System V
machine.  Accounts will include the following:

  o  Shell access:  Bourne, Korn, or C-shell
  o  USENET
  o  Access to a growing collection of Public Domain Software.
  o  C compiler & MS-Dos cross compiler
  o  Lisp, Clips,  Prolog (Soon)
  o  Editors:  Emacs and vi
  o  PC-Pursuitable

To open a new account call (408) 997-9119 and login as guest
no password is required.  Accounts are $25.00 per month,
and there is no additional cpu or time charges.   Guest
logins are restricted and will not have shell access.

     [---->  uunet!amdahl!dlb!netcom!bobr  <----]

bobr@netcom.UUCP (Bob Rieger) (02/13/89)

         PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX ACCOUNTS
         ------ ------ ---- --------

NetCom Services is offering accounts on a UNIX System V
machine.  Accounts will include the following:

  o  Shell access:  Bourne, Korn, or C-shell
  o  USENET
  o  Access to a growing collection of
     Public Domain Software.
  o  C compiler & MS-Dos cross compiler
  o  Lisp, Clips,  Prolog (Soon)
  o  PC-Pursuitable

To open a new account call (408) 997-9119 and login as guest
no password is required.  Accounts are $25.00 per month,
and there is no additional cpu or time charges.
Voice 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Mon Thur (408) 997-9119.

     [---->  uunet!amdahl!dlb!netcom!bobr  <----]

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) (02/15/89)

In article <9@netcom.UUCP> bobr@netcom.UUCP (Bob Rieger) writes:

>         PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX ACCOUNTS
>         ------ ------ ---- --------
>
>NetCom Services is offering accounts on a UNIX System V
>machine.  Accounts will include the following:

>  o  USENET

>To open a new account call (408) 997-9119 and login as guest
>no password is required.  Accounts are $25.00 per month,
                                         :::::
WONDERFUL!

Another company giving accounts to any moron with $25.00 when
the people running the show don't even care enough about
net.rules enough to keep comercial postings in misc.newprod.

Lets see how many J.J.'s and other trash comes out of this
site.

   ...ken seefried iii
      ken@gatech.edu

Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) (02/15/89)

> Public-access UNIX system

The NetCom system is in CASJO for all you PC Pursuiters.  That's just
so you don't have to look it up like I did.

/\
  \/  Jerry Kindall

--
Jerry Kindall  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!10!Jerry.Kindall

lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (The Almighty Tim) (02/19/89)

In article <EXz7IAy00WB50dQn97@andrew.cmu.edu> da1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel K. Appelquist) writes:
>ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) writes:
>> Another company giving accounts to any moron with $25.00 when
>> the people running the show don't even care enough about
>> net.rules enough to keep comercial postings in misc.newprod.
>Shut up you faschist elitist snob...  As far as I'm concerned, the
>more the merrier when it comes to the net.  Ideally, the net should be
>open to all citizens of the WORLD!!  POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

Does anybody know of a pulic access UNIX system in the New York City area?
(area code 212 or 718)

I have a friend that is presently having trouble getting an account through
the universities in the area. I wouldn't consider him to be some "moron with
$25.00".

-Larry

>Does anybody know of a public access UNIX system in the New York City area?
>(area code 212 or 718)
>
>I have a friend that is presently having trouble getting an account through
>the universities in the area.

Here's more than you could possibly want to know about the "Big Electric
Cat" (have fun!!)

UUCP mail path from psuvax1 to dasys1: rutgers!mimsy!uunet!dasys1!%username
Name                   dasys1
System-CPU-OS          Stride Micro 460; UniStride 2.1 (Sys.V)
Organization           The Big Electric Cat

Contact                Robert Sweeney
Electronic-Address     dasys1!rsweeney
Telephone              +1 305 687 1234 days, ask for Rob Sweeney

Postal-Address         72 East End Avenue #2N
                       New York, NY 10028

Latitude-Longitude     73 59 35 W / 40 43 53 N

Remarks                'dasys1' is a public-access Unix system
                       located in New York City.

Remarks                New users are welcome - dialin at (212) 879-9031.

Remarks                We are willing to provide mail links to anyone
                       who will poll us - send email if interested.
                       We regret that we no longer have the free
                       resources to provide additional news feeds.

USENET cpmain cucard ditka hoptoad murphy pyrnj step uunet

Remarks                alt-only: cooper, crlabs, mejac,
                       ccnysci pubnet-only: icus
                       We participate in the 'alt', 'biz', 'gnu', 'inet',
                       'unix-pc', & 'pubnet'
                       alternate netnews hierarchies.

Written-by             ccnysci!jeffrey (Jeffrey L. Bromberger); Sun Jan  8 12:39

dasys1  acsm(DAILY), atec(DIRECT), baetis(POLLED), ccnysci(DIRECT),
        chelsea(DIRECT), cooper(DIRECT), cpmain(DEMAND), crlabs(DAILY),
        cucard(DIRECT+HIGH), ditka(DAILY), hombre(POLLED),
        hoptoad(EVENING+LOW), icus(POLLED), jyacc(WEEKLY),
        lilink(POLLED), magpie(WEEKLY), marob(DAILY), mejac(WEEKLY),
        mstan(DIRECT), murphy(DIRECT), padinc(DEMAND), phri(DIRECT),
        pmmmr(POLLED), pyrnj(DEMAND), step(DAILY), <uunet>(WEEKLY)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

cbennett@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Chris Bennett) (02/24/89)

>ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) writes:
>>                                          :::::
>> WONDERFUL!
>>
>> Another company giving accounts to any moron with $25.00 when
>> the people running the show don't even care enough about
>> net.rules enough to keep comercial postings in misc.newprod.
>>
>> Lets see how many J.J.'s and other trash comes out of this
>> site.
>>

>Shut up you faschist elitist snob...  As far as I'm concerned, the
>more the merrier when it comes to the net.  Ideally, the net should be
>open to all citizens of the WORLD!!  POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!
>
>   Dan A.

_Ideally_ everyone in the world would be responsible enough to respect the
necessary rules that we have designed to keep the nets functioning
efficiently.  In this fairy-tale ideal world of yours, communism would
work, Reagan would never bother running for the presidency and RAM prices
would never have sky-rocketed.

This is only something I've heard, but I'll pass the rumour on to you: this
is the REAL world, and things don't work like that.  If every "moron with
$25.00" had access to the nets we would all be wading through profanity
and advertisements- all of which take mega-bucks to distribute.  The feeds
would be clogged, many sysops would wonder why they bother paying their
phone bills (if they COULD) and most good contributors would just LEAVE.

As Ken pointed out, if the supporting company doesn't care enough about the
net rules to avoid posting a blatant advertisement then how can we expect
that system's users to respect the rules.

UUCP : crash!pro-newfrontier!cbennett   <IIgs+>  /###""""""""\
INET : cbennett@pro-newfrontier.cts.com <-NOW-> /###    #     \
ARPA : crash!pro-newfrontier!cbennett@nosc.mil |#####          |
GEnie: c-bennett AKA the Amateur <A Wandering> |##########     |
SNAIL: Chris Bennett, PO Box 14  <Philosopher>  \####### ##   /
-Burp- Lake Forest, Il., 60045 (Passing Maniac?) \########___/