[comp.sys.apple] Apple //<->IBM<->Mac

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (02/26/89)

To: dauith@dhw68k.cts.com
Subject: Re: Apple ][ c <-> IBM pc file conversion
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple,comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:

WordPerfect 4.2 and 5.0 have no trouble reading text files. Therefore, your
only problem is to go from Apple //c (especially AppleWorks) files to
IBM text files. AppleWorks files can always be printed to disk as text files.
This produces a problem with word processor files, since a LF-CR is inserted
at the end of each line. Use of the Beagle Brothers Timeout desk accessory
AWP TO TEXT eliminates this problem. At this point you have an Apple //
text file on disk, and want to have an IBM text file.

Some of your options have been discussed many times: Use cables between serial
ports together with communication programs, or upload to a mainframe from the
Apple //, then down load to the IBM. If you know someone who has an Applied
Engineering PC Transporter in an Apple, you have a third option. The PC
Transporter puts a IBM-clone (more-or-less an AT) inside an Apple //. It also
come with software that converts between Apple (ProDOS) files and IBM
compatible files. I've used this with WordPerfect.

An even less direct route requires a Macintosh. Current MacII (or MacIIx) can
read and write both IBM and Mac format disks. All Macs can read and write
Apple // format disks using the Apple File Converter.

If you have recurrent needs to go between IBM and Apple //, you might want
to look into MatchPoint-PC, sold by MicroSolutions (132 W. Lincoln Hwy., DeKalb
IL 60115, tel: 815-756-3411). It's a card that plugs into an IBM and allows
connection and use of an Apple // drive. I've no personal experience with
this product, but I do have, use, and enjoy a parallel product, MatchMaker,
that allows a Macintosh drive to be used by a IBM, and converts between Mac
and IBM text files.

--
  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********