[comp.sys.apple] ][c printer port.

gregp@pro-carolina.cts.com (Greg Prevost) (02/18/89)

>>I've  downloaded the latest post of  Z-Link. I try to use it with my
>>//c, but it doesn't work. I have to use it with serial port 1, as port
>>2 is broken, but when I set it with OA-W to slot 1, it will transmit
>>but not receive data. What can I do to fix this? Let me know if there
>>are any modifications that need to be made to the Z.LINK.SYSTEM file.

>Bad news Geva, the IIc port 1 is a printer port, incapable of input, only
>output.  Guess you have to get your computer fixed.

If that is true, then how does the computer know when the printer is off, or
when the buffer is full?  It has to be able to stop and start the sending of
data unless the printer can print at 19,200 baud or whatever the computer is
sending it at.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!gregp          Never forget
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!gregp@nosc.mil                   your towel!
INET: gregp@pro-carolina.cts.com                          Ford Prefect

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (02/27/89)

In article <8902181256.AA18681@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-ascii!pro-charlotte!pro-carolina!gregp@nosc.mil writes:
>If that is true, then how does the computer know when the printer is off, or
>when the buffer is full?  It has to be able to stop and start the sending of
>data unless the printer can print at 19,200 baud or whatever the computer is
>sending it at.

Hardware Handshaking.

for inews. . .

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET