[comp.sys.apple] Looking for Book

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (02/20/89)

I am looking for a book that I fear is out of print...

it's called "Apple Arcade Style Graphics and HiRes Animation"

does anyone have this book or know where another copy
can be found?

jerry
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (arpa)
r746jm7e@cmccvb      (bitnet)

labc-3dc@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (02/20/89)

In article <AXzsJWy00XofQ2yUNF@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

>I am looking for a book that I fear is out of print...
>
>it's called "Apple Arcade Style Graphics and HiRes Animation"

Perhaps you mean "Apple II Graphics and Arcade Game Animation"?  I believe
it was published by Reston books... I have a copy but it isn't here with me.

--
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (02/27/89)

>>I am looking for a book that I fear is out of print...
>>it's called "Apple Arcade Style Graphics and HiRes Animation"
>
>Perhaps you mean "Apple II Graphics and Arcade Game Animation"?  I believe
>it was published by Reston books... I have a copy but it isn't here with me.

I've got a book called, "Apple Graphics & Arcade Game Design" by Jeffrey
Stanton.  It is published by "The Book Co." of 11223 S. Hindry Ave, Los
Angeles, CA 90045.  The copyright is 1982.

I got this book in Taiwan a long time ago for cheap.  It is a good
introduction to the essentials of animation on the Apple II+.  It covers
Lo-res, Hi-res Applesoft shapes, bitmapped block animation, some very old
animation algorithms, and even talks a little about what makes a game
successful (very dated, and outmoded in today's market). Games mentioned (now
this will take some of you back) are Pacman, Sneakers, Gamma Golbins,
Galaxian, Scramble, Space Invaders, Rip Off, Threshold, Pegasus II and Missile
Command.

It was a baffling book when I first bought it, but it was a good introduction
to the weird Apple II screen, lookup tables, preshifted shape tables, color
bleeding, and page flipping that the GS has for the most part fixed (even Page
Flipping, cuss cuss swear gripe).

Speaking of old games, I saw that Muse advertised in a magazine recently!
Maybe we'll see a souped-up Robot War and another Castle Wolfenstein!

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (02/27/89)

In article <20620@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> labc-3dc@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) writes:
>In article <AXzsJWy00XofQ2yUNF@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
>>
>>I am looking for a book that I fear is out of print...
>>
>>it's called "Apple Arcade Style Graphics and HiRes Animation"
>
>Perhaps you mean "Apple II Graphics and Arcade Game Animation"?  I believe
>it was published by Reston books... I have a copy but it isn't here with me.

Do either of you mean "Apple Graphics and Arcade Game Design"?
This book was written by Jeffery Stanton and published by "The Book Company"
(as far as I can tell from the publishing info)  I have not heard anything
else from this author/publisher so it is probably out of print.....

A nice book, but the subjects it covers have been covered elsewhere (mainly in
Nibble's "graphics workshop" series)

--
      __
     /    AR \  /    GGRAY@WPI.BITNET