[comp.sys.apple] chameleon

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (07/28/87)

In article <8707111531.aa01443@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
> I am in receipt of a shareware program ($25 from Dark Star Systems)
> which will transfer files among the various Apple II operating
> systems.  Its a ProDOS SYS program called Chameleon.  I can upload
> the Docs and the program in text form (which can be EXEC'd under
> ProDOS), however, the program and docs produce a file of about 67K.
> Before I dump something that size onto the list, ...
              Do you think you could upload it in PACKED format,
for example using BNY (the new BINARY II standard being used by
Compu$erve, GEnie, and THE SOURCE?  If you don't have BNY and also,
anyone else who wants BNY utilities and the documentation accompanying
same, I would be willing to upload it; if we could continue to
upload shareware and public domain programs perhaps then we might
be able to request a comp.sources.apple group to which we could
upload further programs!
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:  ..cmc12!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/28/87)

Please Post it!!!

burton@SILVER.BACS.INDIANA.EDU (Rex_Burton) (07/29/87)

what is bny and binary  II ? i keep readin about it but i don't know what
it is.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (07/29/87)

PLEASE folks.  The Binary II format does NO PACKING WHATSOEVER!  It merely
concatenates the files together with a header which indicates the name size,
and type of file.  There is a SQ/USQ program available from Don Elton (boy
his name shows up a lot around here!) and this is sometimes used to squeeze
things before or after bny format is used.

Don, if you are out there reading this, perhaps you could get the compress
software package from a site close by - or even, if you are getting comp.sources.misc
(and if not - you should) get the latest C source for arc.  If you could get
one of THOSE working, things would be a lot better.

How many folks out there are using hosted systems vs their Apples?  If you
are using VAX/68k/P <yuck> C <yuck>s/etc. then perhaps we could use the
arc format and uuencode to transmit the executioner files.  This would
make things a LITTLE complex to break down, but then again, it would
also make things smaller.

If someone is going to port an ARC-like program, I noticed over on another
group that the source for ZOO is coming shortly.  This is a C program which
does ARC-like packing/compressing, etc BUT allows directories names as well-
sort of unix/tar and arc together!   NOW THAT's the ticket; the biggest problem
I have seen with BNY is that you are stuck creating directories before you
break the sucker apart.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN (Grant Delaney) (02/13/88)

The program Chameleon is available form apple2-l already by requesing it from
listserv@brownvm.bitnet.  the files are 87-00031 and 87-00032

Grant

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/28/89)

>> I am looking for a quick and dirty way of transferring text files from
>> DOS (either ProDOS or 3.3) to my Apple Pascal 1.2 (yes, I do not own 1.3)
>> so that I can perform some work on them.  Does anybody have any
>> recommendationson  what sort of program I could use to do this.

>Some years ago (1983) a program was published which transferred files between
>DOS 3.3, PASCAL, and CP/M.  I used it once and it worked well for me.

>The program's name is "File Transfer Utilities", and it was published by
>RCM Software.

>Unfortunately, I have no information on the company, or whether the program
>is still available, but this may provide a place to start searching.

>UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
>ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
>INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

Or you  could just get Chameleon from apple2-l, only its not quick & dirty,
its elegant.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.