[comp.sys.apple] Icons and such...

jschober@gnh-starport.UUCP (Joey Schober) (02/20/89)

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) writes:
>> Sometime ago, I noticed some talk on Icons for the IIgs.  One conversation
>> was about replacing the Trash Icon on the Finder with a Toilet.  Anyone have
>> additional info?

Yes: Glen Bredon's MISTER.FIXIT application was given an icon with a distinct
resemblance to "Crystal Drano".  :-)

Just kidding, of course.  Yeah, there are a couple good icon editors available
for the GS... and a couple bad ones, too.  I'll just hit the good ones.  Dave
Lyons of DAL Systems wrote one, called DIcEd (Desktop Icon Editor), that's very
good indeed -- it has a lot of snazzy features, including 4-level zoom, the
ability to save icons as SOURCE CODE (!) (compatible with the _DrawIcon tool
call), and the ability to place icons in a specific location in the icon file.
It's a nicely done program.  Only real problem with it, IMHO, is that it's on
the large size (100+ blocks, if memory serves) -- I think Dave wrote it in TML
Pascal.

Paul Elseth wrote another very good one, called IconEd.  That one doesn't have
as many frills as DIcEd does, but it offers good operation.  It's able to
display all the icons in the icon file (or as many as will fit in a window) at
one time, whereas DIcEd wants you to handle 'em one-at-a-time.  I believe that
the latest version of IconEd allows you to put icons in a specific part of the
file, as well, but the version I'm using (1.1 or 1.2, I forget) doesn't.

Speaking of versions, as far as I know, IconEd is at v1.3, and DIcEd is at
v1.1.1.

Both of these programs are ShareWare System16 applications, and can be found on
any information service (such as ALPE), and most BBS'es.

Good luck!  :)

Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400 baud]
ALPE: JSchober

 * Sent by StarPort BBS at  2/20/89  7:09:02 PM

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (02/28/89)

jschober@gnh-starport.UUCP (Joey Schober) writes:
>tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) writes:
>>> Sometime ago, I noticed some talk on Icons for the IIgs.  One conversation
>>> was about replacing the Trash Icon on the Finder with a Toilet.  Anyone have
>>> additional info?

Since the subject is still around... I also remember seeing a mug of beer on
the Desktop instead of the trash can.  When you threw things away, the mug of
beer would show a nice head of foam.  To "empty the trashcan", you would
actually "slam a brewsky".  It was amusing...

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com