[comp.sys.apple] AppleLink--Personal Edition

>Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 89 10:06:05 PST
>From:         "Henry P. Dowst" <dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV>

Please note my (Dave L's) BIAS.  I am a Forum Consultant for the
Apple II Development Forum on AppleLink--Personal Edition.  I don't
get paid for it, but I'm compensated with a fair amount of free
access to the system.

>[...] the following items are fact.
>
>  1.  Downloading a file at 2400 baud takes more time than
>      downloading the same file at 1200 baud.  AL-PE Customer
>      Support says "the technical people are working on the
>      problem".

Very weird.  I only have 1200 baud (local TYMNET and TELENET nodes
don't support 2400, or I'd buy a 2400 baud modem right away).  I
don't see why it would take longer, but possibly it has something to
do with the buffering through TYMNET or TELENET.

>  3.  [...] Scanning bulletins and
>      finding new downloads are still awkward, slow, and
>      frustrating operations.

Awkward is a judgement.  Slow--I haven't timed it.  Frustrating--not
to me.

>The following items are my own observations.
>
>   1.  Customer Support answers their e-mail about 20% of the
>       time.  They actually help about once in 10 answers.

I haven't dealt with Customer Support much.  If your questions are
Apple-related rather than AppleLink--PE related, post them in a
forum and you'll get a response 100% of the time, and useful
information almost as often.

>   2.  Host software reliability seems to be decreasing, but
>       I can't say whether this reflects AL-PE or TYMNET
>       problems.

The only trouble I've had is with TYMNET and TELENET--when I have
trouble (unable to connect, or very slow response) with one, I just
switch the phone numbers around to use the other one.  (In _some_
cases the software automatically tries the second number, but not if
it can connect as far as getting a modem to answer, apparently.)

>   3.  There is very little new download material.

Compared to WHAT?  For the kinds of things that _I_ download, at
least, there's as much stuff there as on any other service that I
use (CompuServe and GEnie).

>Henry Dowst

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons