[comp.sys.apple] Mac and GS sounds

>Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 89 17:16:46 GMT
>From:         Kareth <mentor.cc.purdue.edu!asd@PURDUE.EDU>
>Subject:      Sound Files. Mac -> GS?

>It seems to me that I recall someone who said sound files from the Mac use
>the same format as the gs, so porting sound from the Mac to GS would be
>possible.  Anybody have any info, knowledge, or just plain cold hard facts
>about this?

On format that is sometimes used on both machines is just a plain
sequence of uncompressed bytes, from 1 to 255.  That format is no
problem--I've moved sounds between systems before.  (Just from Mac
to GS, I guess, but the other direction shouldn't be much harder.)

There are a variety of more compact formats for both machines...
probably the easiest thing would be to get a sound unpacked into the
most straightforward form before trying to convert it.

>Also, has anyone heard about a sound cda that plays sounds at
>certain times, like when you insert/eject a disk, make an error?  The Mac
>has some nice cda's that allow ya to configure the machine with about 10+
>different sounds for different functions.

I've seen that (SoundMaster) on the Mac, but I haven't heard of any
similar utilities on the GS.  (There's a SysBeep utility that just
replaces teh standard beep, though.)  For technical reasons (mostly
because many pieces of the toolbox are in RAM on the GS and
therefore don't have permanent addresses), it's harder to write such
a utility for the GS.  I'm not saying it can't be done...it would be
an interesting project.

>kareth.
>asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/28/89)

From article <8902270353.aa06297@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons"):

>>the same format as the gs, so porting sound from the Mac to GS would be
>>possible.  Anybody have any info, knowledge, or just plain cold hard facts
>>about this?
>
> On format that is sometimes used on both machines is just a plain
> sequence of uncompressed bytes, from 1 to 255.  That format is no
> problem--I've moved sounds between systems before.  (Just from Mac
> to GS, I guess, but the other direction shouldn't be much harder.)

There is a slight problem with the sound format that I ran into.  It has to
do with the amplitude notation.  A 0 byte in tells the generator to stop,
so if you have any 0's in the data, it gets distorted (this can be remedied
by changing the 0's to 1's).  Also, a value of 0x80 is zero amplitude (rather
than 0 or 1), so any trailing 0's in the sound should be converted to 0x80's.

--
Scott Lindsey, wombat | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development   | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1