[comp.sys.apple] AppleWorks GS and PostScript

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (02/28/89)

Has anyone successfully printed saved PostScript files on a Laser?

I finally got the program today that allows me to save AppleWorks GS
PostScript files, port them over to the Mac (which is hooked to the
Laser printer) and print them on the LaserWriter. (!!! Hooray)

Unfortunately, the fonts all came out stretched (i.e. EXACTLY the way
they look on the screen, no "Better Text" correction).  Maybe Shaston
would look normal, but I'm sure there's a better way to do it (other
than taking my IIgs across campus and hooking it into AppleTalk).

Maybe somebody else has figured out a way to print correct PostScripted
files?  Help...

Thanks,

--
Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman
   __   ARPA: blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu, blackman@pucc.princeton.edu

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/01/89)

From article <6711@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman):
> Has anyone successfully printed saved PostScript files on a Laser?
>
> Unfortunately, the fonts all came out stretched (i.e. EXACTLY the way
> they look on the screen, no "Better Text" correction).  Maybe Shaston
> would look normal, but I'm sure there's a better way to do it (other
> than taking my IIgs across campus and hooking it into AppleTalk).

First, do they look **exactly** the way they do on the screen?  Same
resolution?  (This is understandable for printing from graphics .. what
module *are* you printing from?)  The stretchedness should be taken care
of in Page Setup by selecting Condensed mode.  That generates output basically
the same as a Mac.

I'm not aware of any general problems with this, although the only times I've
tried printing actual postscript files generated by AWGS has been from a
Sun running Unix.

"But the demo worked..."  :-)

--
Scott Lindsey, wombat | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development   | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (03/01/89)

In article <8982@claris.com> scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>> Has anyone successfully printed saved PostScript files on a Laser?
>> Unfortunately, the fonts all came out stretched (i.e. EXACTLY the way
>
>First, do they look **exactly** the way they do on the screen?  Same
>[...] The stretchedness should be taken care
>of in Page Setup by selecting Condensed mode.  That generates output basically
>the same as a Mac.

Lo and behold, after you told me this, I looked on page 16 of the AWGS
Reference Manual, where it describes exactly what I needed to know about
condensed fonts.  And I tried it out on the Laser, and everything was
beautiful.  Hooray.

Unfortunately, with the way the AWGS sends each page in a separate
GrafPort, (which also messes up ImageWriter draft mode) the PostScript
file only contains the last page of the document.  If the LaserWriter
driver could simply pick a unique name other than "POSTSCRIPT.GS" then I
could still copy each of my pages in a different file to the Mac and
print them.  As it is, I have extensive editing to do to send any
good-sized file to the Laser.  (I'm using the WP module, by the way, but
I think the printer driver problem is universal)

You said the "demo worked :-)"  Was their demo multi-page?

From article <6734@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman):
> Unfortunately, with the way the AWGS sends each page in a separate
> GrafPort, (which also messes up ImageWriter draft mode) the PostScript
> file only contains the last page of the document.
Yeah, we did that because the print manager spools the output internally (in
memory) and extra memory is something most people don't have.  Imagine
trying to print a 10 page document where the bitmap (or corresponding
postscript) for each page was sitting around in memory until the whole thing
was ready to send to the printer.

> If the LaserWriter
> driver could simply pick a unique name other than "POSTSCRIPT.GS" then I
> could still copy each of my pages in a different file to the Mac and
> print them.  As it is, I have extensive editing to do to send any
> good-sized file to the Laser.
Yeah, well, that's Apple's driver.

> (I'm using the WP module, by the way, but
> I think the printer driver problem is universal)
The problem I was talking about is that graphic output to the LaserWriter
may not look much better than, say screen or ImageWriter output.