[comp.sys.apple] GS Troubles O'Plenty

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/16/89)

I seem to have a problem with my GS with RGB monitor...
When I'm using the Finder with its dithered blue desktop, I get all sorts
of strange moire effects (remember the OLD OLD DOS 3.3 System Master program?)

Is this normal, or is something wrong with my GS? (I had it upgraded to ROM
1.0 long ago, but whether they put in the new video chip I don't know)...

Also, a friend's GS occasionally goes into some kind of super-slow mode. It
seems like about .3 MHz or so... You can actually see screen wipes and such
in ProTERM and the control panel... Most disturbing. Anyone have any idea
what this could be? (bad crystal?)

Thanx a meg...

jawaid bazyar
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
"Argh! It's snowing AGAIN!!!"

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/21/89)

In article <113300041@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I seem to have a problem with my GS with RGB monitor...
>When I'm using the Finder with its dithered blue desktop, I get all sorts
>of strange moire effects (remember the OLD OLD DOS 3.3 System Master program?)
>Is this normal, or is something wrong with my GS? (I had it upgraded to ROM
>1.0 long ago, but whether they put in the new video chip I don't know)...

Despite its high price, Apple's RGB monitor is basically just normal color
TV technology.  It is virtually impossible to align it accurately enough
to prevent such Moire effects, which are the result of "beating" of the
phosphor dot spacing on the screen against the pixel pattern.

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (02/24/89)

I get the same moire effect on my Monitor and I checked both my
friends machine and the one at my dealer, they all do it.  Grin and
bear it I guess.

Seymour

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (03/02/89)

In article <Feb.23.17.52.47.1989.20948@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
|I get the same moire effect on my Monitor and I checked both my
|friends machine and the one at my dealer, they all do it.  Grin and
|bear it I guess.
|
|Seymour

As most people may find out, playing with the the contrast and brightness
controls help a little bit.   Wonder why it is that there's no
(what I call) 'center lock' on the contrast control; there's one on the
brightness dial.

	Evan Ron Aussenberg / erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu