[comp.sys.apple] AppleCat question

c08_d103@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ex-God) (03/02/89)

I've been using my AppleCat for years (and years and years), but I'm
going to move up to 2400 baud one of these days.  Assuming I stay with
my //e, I want to avoid buying a serial card if at all possible.

So how good is the supposed RS-232 connection on the AppleCat?  If I
make my own cable, can I hook up a modem to the J2 I/O port (where the
212 connector goes), or is it only usable for a printer?  I'm pretty
sure the 212 connection is nothing close to any standard signals.

Anyway, if I have to get the serial card, that'll probably push me
over the line to getting a //gs (so I won't have to get a UniDisk
interface card, a serial card, a mouse card, an accelerator, etc) --
or maybe to an Amiga (if I can get enough money).  But I'd rather have
a nice solution involving buying nothing more than some pins and
wires....

     -- Andrew Barnert (Andy Social/Andy Matter/ex-God)
        ins_balb@jhunix/ins_balb@jhuvms/c08_d103@jhunix
The opinions expressed in this message are probably someone else's.
"If you can't stand the Big Chill, burn down the freezer." -- Jello Biafra

akuo@scam.uucp (Augie Kuo) (03/03/89)

In article <932@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_balb@jhunix.UUCP (Andy Matter) writes:
>I've been using my AppleCat for years (and years and years), but I'm
>going to move up to 2400 baud one of these days.  Assuming I stay with
>my //e, I want to avoid buying a serial card if at all possible.
>
>So how good is the supposed RS-232 connection on the AppleCat?  If I
>make my own cable, can I hook up a modem to the J2 I/O port (where the
>212 connector goes), or is it only usable for a printer?  I'm pretty
>sure the 212 connection is nothing close to any standard signals.

The RS232 connection on the Applecat will handle a 1200 baud modem fine, but
it isn't capable of handling anything faster than that.  If you want a 2400
baud modem, you'll have to use a serial card.

By the way, is anyone interested in an AppleCat?  Someone with a DiversiDial
or something?

Augie