[comp.sys.apple] ERA 2 vs. PC Xporter

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (03/04/89)

In article <8903011814.aa17449@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> KJJY@MARISTB.BITNET (Robert Rodriguez) writes:

>     Does anyone know if a Microcom Era 2 Modem will work with the
>Applied Engineering PC Transporter card? I am considering the purchase
>of the PC Transporter, and would like to keep the same modem.
This should be purely a function of the program running on the Apple ][
that translates the PC I/O requests into things the Apple can handle.
If the ERA 2 emulates an Apple Super Serial card, then you should have
no problems.  (But no guarantees from me either, since I own none of the
products you mentioed.)  Or, if AE wrote their translator program so it
rigorously follows Apple I/O entry points guidelines, then it should work
as well (assuming MicroCom wrote their onboard ROM according to those
guidelines.)

Failing that, if you can tell which serial chip they use (6850 or 6551),
then you might be able to get a patch for your card from somewhere.
>     Also, where can I can the version of Kermit that was patched to
>support a mouse?
I don't know, but I recall seeing a reference to it on this comp.sys.apple
at some time.

Good luck.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.