[comp.sys.apple] Fool In the Rain, ALPE

>Date:         Mon, 27 Feb 89 18:25:02 GMT
>From:         David I Seah <mailrus!ulowell!m2c!wpi!dseah@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV>
>Subject:      RE: Fool in the Rain

>I'm on AppleLink PE, and there are generally a lot of pissed off GS
>owners on the service.  They aren't quiet either.

They _seem_ like more than they are.   There are a _few_, but they
seem like "many" because of how quiet they aren't.

>In the A2 Development forum, there is a large folder devoted to
>"Death of the Apple II".  In Across the Boards, there is a "Let's Get
>John Sculley" folder. [...]  Perhaps I'm finding them because I am
>pretty pissed off too.  These folders tend to be among the largest in
>terms of the number of messages AND posters.

Just a sec!  That first folder is not *devoted* to the death of the
Apple II; it simply has "Death of the Apple II" as its *name*!  That
means only that the user who created the folder typed that for its
name.  The "Let's Get John Sculley" folder, if memory serves, was
originally started by someone who wanted to "get" John Sculley to
participate in an online auditorium event, _not_ to capture him and
rough him up a bit until he promises to give the Apple II more
attention.

It is not surprising that folders like that have a lot of activity:
they are big because there is a lot of _disagreement_ about the
things being discussed.  A lot of other folders in the Development
Forum grow slower because people ask questions and receive fairly
definitive answers (a reference to a book, to sample source code in
the library, some piece of information looked up by someone who had
the reference material handy, an "Oh, I had that problem too, and
here's what I did," or whatever).

>I have been looking through the "death" folders on AppleLink, and
>there were several posts about people dumping their GSs.  In the
>classifieds of newspapers, people are selling their GSs.  In phone
>calls to my friends, they confirm that they know people (or are
>themselves) selling their GSs.  It seems to be a nationwide trend
>(but don't quote me on that).

Oh my goodness!  There are people selling GSs!  There are people
selling CARS!  There are people selling HOUSES!  Stereo equipment!
It's a nation-wide trend!  Quick--get out of the automobile business
and the real-estate and home-electronics business before it's too
late!

Drawing conclusions about market trends from people you happen to
have talked to is silly.  Collect some careful statistics and I'll
pay attention to them.

>I think Dave Srinivasan was referring to AppleWorks GS.  I have
>played with it but briefly, and was impressed with (1) its load time
>(2) its sluggishness. If programs such as MultiScribe GS are called
>"unfit for documents longer than a couple of pages" by Apple
>magazines (that usually gush all over the place), then AWGS might
>share the same characteristics.

When he said "...the best you can do is AppleWorks 2.0" he was
talking about classic AppleWorks.  (There is no AppleWorks GS 2.0
yet.)  AppleWorks GS is the one he said requires the patience of 10
dead men.  I expect that will change in a future release, but for
now _I_ continue to use classic AppleWorks.  I can crank out quick
letters with it in about a _minute_.  I'd _rather_ have a usable
desktop-based word processor for the GS, but I haven't seen anything
I'm impressed with yet.  This is not a permanent situation.

> | <<<<<(((((( DAVE SEAH ))))))>>>>> |    Internet:  dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
> | Worcester  Polytechnic  Institute |    Bitnet:       dseah@wpi.bitnet
> | Computer Engineering Class of '90 |    ALink PE:  Omnitreant

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/05/89)

In article <8903011500.aa14186@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET
("David A. Lyons") writes:

>Oh my goodness!  There are people selling GSs!  There are people
>selling CARS!  There are people selling HOUSES!  Stereo equipment!
>It's a nation-wide trend!  Quick--get out of the automobile business
>and the real-estate and home-electronics business before it's too
>late!
>
>Drawing conclusions about market trends from people you happen to
>have talked to is silly.  Collect some careful statistics and I'll
>pay attention to them.

Perhaps I was hasty in drawing a "market trend" from the people I have talked
to.  I was feeling particularly depressed about the GS because of the number
of people I know of who are selling their GSs because of the allure of the
Amiga. Then I hear that the GS isn't doing too well in terms of software
sales.  Then the Apple IIC Plus gets introduced, and it outperforms the GS in
terms of raw CPU speed.  Then our local group of GS owners sets up shop at a
computer show, in which we compete head-to-head against the Amiga.  We get
blown away (in terms of interested spectators) despite the money we've
invested in top-knotch GS sound/graphics software.  Then I meet some grumpy GS
owners-in-arms on AppleLink PE.

Then I draw some conclusions, and send some mail.

These conclusions were not carefully researched.  However, as I talk to more
and more people in netland, I get stronger signals about what one segment of
the Apple IIGS population thinks.  Do I have to take down birthdays and social
security numbers before I can make some "silly" conclusions?

Lest you all think I am just an attention seeking prophet of doom, I am. :)
Housing is in a slump!  Invest in mobile homes!  Bottled Water is Life!