[comp.sys.apple] IBM->Imagewriter II?

grim1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Pilgrim) (02/22/89)

Just a simple question...  I currently have an Apple IIGS with
various periphery including an Imagewriter II printer.  I now
have a need to run MS-DOS software and am considering purchasing
an IBM clone. (I'm not too impressed with the PC transporter)
Is there any way (software and/or hardware) to allow an IBM clone
to use an Imagewriter II?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

                              Steve Pilgrim

Snake@cup.portal.com (Dan g Sobel) (02/24/89)

You shouldn't have much problem getting the IBM (or Clone) to accept the
immagewriter, you will need a Cable to adapt the funny Apple Din to a standard
serial port, and you'll need to set all the programs in the IBM to look for
LPT (the line printer) on a COM (serial) port.  The major problem is, that you
will probably not find any software drivers to use your printer, you are probab
better off just buying a cheap Epson Clone for the IBM.

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/25/89)

In article <15011@cup.portal.com>, Snake@cup.portal.com (Dan g Sobel) writes:
> You shouldn't have much problem getting the IBM (or Clone) to accept the
> immagewriter, you will need a Cable to adapt the funny Apple Din to a standard
> serial port, and you'll need to set all the programs in the IBM to look for
> LPT (the line printer) on a COM (serial) port.  The major problem is, that you
> will probably not find any software drivers to use your printer, you are probab
> better off just buying a cheap Epson Clone for the IBM.

Word Perfect 4.2 and 5.0 support the ImageWriter printer, as do many other
major IBM software packages.  Other packages, such as Lotus 1-2-3, dBase III+,
etc. aren't all that picky about what's hooked up to them either.  (If you
want to get picky, I don't think that Lotus offers an ImageWriter driver for
the PrintGraph application.)

Buying the cable is, as you said, not a problem.  These are available from
many mail order warehouses.  Setting MS-DOS to use a COM port as LPT1 is
no problem either.  This command line (don't quote the syntax) would do the
trick:

mode lpt1=com1:9600,8,n,1

Which sets LPT1 as being the physical COM1 port, running at 9600 baud,
8 data bits, no parity, one stop bit.  Then you just configure the DIP
switches in the ImageWriter to match, or better yet, you change the baud/
parity/data bits/stop bits to match the default settings that are used by
the Apple II series and the Mac.  Then any program that is capable of
printing to LPT1 (most everything) can print to the ImageWriter.

Michael Niehaus
Apple Student Rep
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas
AppleLink: ST0374

vojta@skippy.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (03/05/89)

In article <7788@ihlpf.ATT.COM> grim1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Pilgrim) writes:
>Just a simple question...
>Is there any way (software and/or hardware) to allow an IBM clone
>to use an Imagewriter II?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

>                              Steve Pilgrim

In article <5902@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writ
es:
>Then you just configure the DIP
>switches in the ImageWriter to match, or better yet, you change the baud/
>parity/data bits/stop bits to match the default settings that are used by
>the Apple II series and the Mac.  Then any program that is capable of
>printing to LPT1 (most everything) can print to the ImageWriter.

But also:  don't forget to set the DIP switch for DTR protocol instead of X-on/
X-off protocol.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu