[comp.sys.apple] A Fool in the Rain

>Date:         Wed, 22 Feb 89 16:22:00 EST
>From:         CHEESEBALL%ALBION.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>Subject:      Fool In the Rain
>
>Lord knows that fools come in many shapes and forms, and that there
>are many around this land of ours, but I never thought I'd see the
>day where I WOULD SAY THIS:  Apple made a sucker out of me!  I've had
>my GS for 2 years and 2 months and I've yet to get much out of it!

I see things from a very different perspective.  I've been working
with the GS since about June 86, and I've had my own for 2 years now.
I've become extremely familiar with the toolbox and GS/OS in that
time, and the excitement I've had for it from the beginning from a
programmer's point of view is higher than ever, as you know if you've
been following my recent posts.

Do you subscribe to GEnie or AppleLink--Personal Edition?  If not,
consider giving them a try.  You may be missing out on a lot of
public domain or Shareware stuff.  People complain about a lot of
things on the commercial services, but one thing I've never seen
anybody say there is that they haven't gotten much out of their GS.

>As a business machine, basically the best you can do is AppleWorks
>2.0 (unless you have the patience of 10 dead men)

I use AppleWorks quite a bit.  Is that bad?  It goes 2.5 times
faster than on a IIe, and all the GS memory is available for big
files.  Plus I have desk accessories always available, and a
detached keyboard & mouse control.

>and as a game machine, the thing is a poor man's Amiga.

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the Amiga.  Are you
calling it a game machine?  I'm not noted for spending extreme
amounts of time playing games, but I've bought Zany Golf, Shanghai,
and Tetris, and I'm reasonably happy with them.  Have you tried
those?  I don't know what kind of games you want.  There's a slick
public domain Yahtzee and a Shareware Solitaire that I use, too.

>GOD IS THIS THING SLOW!  I've never seen a machine as slow in
>performing the things IT IS DESIGNED TO DO!

Not all the software is slow, but too much of it is.  One thing you
can do is order a TransWarp GS (see below).  Another is to wait for
more improvements in software speed (both system software and
application software), which I'm confident will be forthcoming.

>[...] We have to wait about six eons just for an operating system
>that is still too slow and quite confusing to learn.

What is confusing about GS/OS?  I'll do my best to resolve any
confusion.

GS/OS is a major improvement over ProDOS 16, both in speed and
otherwise.  How fast would it have to be to make you happy?  What
kind of disk drives are you using?  (If you're using Apple 3.5
drives, have you formatted your GS/OS disks with a 2:1 interleave?
GS/OS can read them considerably faster if you do.)

>When I first got the machine, I read Trip Hawkins' summary of the GS'
>abilities: "GS stands for 'graphics that are static'."  Well, he was
>right.

Are you talking about static in the sound output?  I have a pair of
Radio Shack Minimus 0.6 speakers plugged into mine, and I have no
complaints about the sound quality.  (I even have a fan, which
doesn't seem to cause a problem.)

>I would have written this letter though if it wasn't for one little
>thing that happened over Christmas.  I came back from my vacation to
>discover that my battery had died.  My "10-YEAR" battery was dead at
>the ripe old age of slightly over two years.

Too bad.  If you don't want to pay your dealer to fix it, replace it
with a couple of double-A batteries in series.  (You might just cut
one of the battery's leads, or unsolder one of them, and leave the
battery in there--don't just throw it away, because it'll explode
when it gets wet.  It has lithium in it.)

>I have little software after two years, and Trip Hawkins' lovely
>company (Electronic Arts) has been saying for these last two years
>that they will release a program called EARL WEAVER BASEBALL and then
>denying that they will release it.  C'mon people stop with the lies.
>Last year at this time, I got a call from their head of Customer
>Service swearing that it would be out in the spring of '88 for the
>GS.  Well it isn't.
>
>I'm guessing that there's two reasons for it.  1) the program was
>slower than a dead turtle in molasses during a Nebraskan december
>because of the 2.8MhZ clockspeed [...]  2) No one buys GS software.
>Is that a pair of good enough reasons?

Good enough reasons for lying?  No.  I doubt that they deliberately
lied to you, though.  Vaporware is not unique to the GS, nor is it a
new thing.  They may have decided to give other projects higher
priority--I don't know.  The moral is not to count on stuff until
you see it, I guess.  I haven't paid enough attention to Electronic
Arts to know whether their promises of future release dates are
generally good or not.

A 2.8 MHz clock speed alone doesn't make a program slow--it may mean
a lot more work is required to make it fast, though.  "No one buys GS
software"?  I disagree...I've bought some.  Do you mean that people
you know have stolen the commercial software they use rather than
buying it?  If so, encourage them to buy their software.  If it's
worth using, it's worth paying for.

>Well, I'm NOT GOING TO suggest how to improve the GS.  It's bloody
>simple: add a coupla graphics modes, and beef up the speed
>tremendously (basically treble the clock speed).

Yeah, it's simple to say, isn't it?  As long as we're talking about
making it faster, why not make it a BILLION times faster?  That
would really be slick, although it's easier said than done.

How will adding more graphics modes help?  You want lower resolution
than 320x200?

When throwing around MHz figures, remember that the clock speed
determines the number of clock cycles per second, _not_ the number of
instruction cycles per second.  That's a lot more complicated, and it
depends on the particular instructions being executed--but on the
average, a 65816 (GS) instruction takes roughly half as many clock
cycles as a 68000 (Macintosh) instruction.

Problems in boosting the clock rate _include_ finding 65816s that
work reliably at higher speeds, and either buying more expensive
memory chips with faster access times, or implementing some sort of
caching scheme to let the processor spend as little of its time as
possible waiting for bytes to get fetched from memory.

The TransWarp GS should be shipping shortly if it isn't already.
I'll be interested to find out how they dealt with some of the
problems.

>                                                Dave Srinivasan
>                                                CHEESEBALL@ALBION

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (03/05/89)

Re:

> Date:     Thursday 23 Feb 89 3:20 AM CT
> From: "David A. Lyons" AWCTTYPA%UIAMVS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
> Subject:  A Fool in the Rain (unhappy with the GS)

>> Date:         Wed, 22 Feb 89 16:22:00 EST
>> From:         CHEESEBALL%ALBION.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>> Subject:      Fool In the Rain

>> Lord knows that fools come in many shapes and forms, and that there
>> are many around this land of ours, but I never thought I'd see the
>> day where I WOULD SAY THIS:  Apple made a sucker out of me!  I've had
>> my GS for 2 years and 2 months and I've yet to get much out of it!

> I see things from a very different perspective.  I've been working
> with the GS since about June 86, [etc...]

David, I've been telling Apple for over a year now that they ought to
hire you!

> Do you subscribe to GEnie or AppleLink--Personal Edition?  If not,
> consider giving them a try.

This is a very biased opinion (which may have something to do with
the fact that ALPE cost $18/hour in Hawaii) but personally I'll never
understand just why ALPE was conceived in its current state.  To me,
the system would have been much better if they had used the best (and
cheapest!) online service available (GEnie), and just modified a small
section of the RTC to support ALPE on GEnie.  This would have been
more advantageous to Apple, GEnie, and the thousands of users who are
not able to afford the overpriced rates of other services besides
GEnie.  Maybe, ALPE will allow you to talk to Apple more directly,
but it is just not worth the extra money for me (and probably a
number of others) to join when we have to work hard just to pay off
the Apple ]['s and Mac's in the first place. :)  Of course, ALPE
has been noted to have a number of bugs in the system by others
which makes it cumbersome (flame me, I can't remember everyone),
and GEnie is slow in some respects; but at $5/hour for GEnie vs.
$18/hour for ALPE I can afford a little slowness from the former.

>> As a business machine, basically the best you can do is AppleWorks

If you believe this then you are not taking the time to look around
for anything else.  There are a number of business applications
and alternatives to Appleworks.  Personally, I like Appleworks.  With
some Timeout accessories installed, there is nothing I have seen
anywhere which can beat the program for productivity on MY scale.
Since I do not run a large business, I have no idea how it would
be applied to something on this scale.  But, I have seen at least 15
small businesses (100 or less employees) runnning sucessfully with
an Apple IIe or Apple IIgs computer as the main accounting center.

>> and as a game machine, the thing is a poor man's Amiga.

> I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the Amiga.  Are you
> calling it a game machine?

No matter what anyone says, the Amiga concept is primarily promoted
as a game machine/animation work station, IMHO.  While it may have
a multi-tasking o/s, the directing commands and interface for the
machine are more cumbersome than running Apple ][ DOS 3.2 and Integer
BASIC (just to allow you non-amiga fans some reference point).  I
agree that the Amiga is a better hardware machine than the IIgs, but
the implementation of the system, and support for applications that
I am interested in are little to none.  With the introduction of the
Amiga 2500UX, I have had my own interest in the Amiga rekindled.  By
September Fest 89, I should have $2000 in cash saved up to purchase
a new computer (along with credit to cover the extra stuff) and I am
seriously looking into purchasing the 2500UX with the Unix operationg
system.  If Apple does not come out with a new Apple ][ computer by
September, that's where I will be placing my money.  If Apple comes
out with a new IIgs which does not support a decent speed and/or
someone doesn't come out with a decent C compiler for the IIgs, I
will probably purchase the thing anyway, as I am tired of not being
able to write good (read -- compact, fast, non-cumbersome) C code on
my machine.

>> GOD IS THIS THING SLOW!

This has been attributed to a number of reasons.  Apple representatives
continue to publicly state that this was a design problem due to the
lack of reliable 65816's which could run at a higher speed.  Other
sources have suggested everything including Apple marketting schemes
for the Macintosh (e.g., a fast IIgs would outsell the Mac's), lack
of personnel available to produce a better design (again due to the
fact that all of Apple's resources were dumped into the Mac), and
the fact that Apple really wanted to kill the whole Apple II project
and install Mac's in the K-12 arena (not very believable, but possible).
Please realize, these are just a few of the many reasons I have heard
throughout the last two years, but I personally believe that Apple
wanted to milk a "cash cow" with minimal R&D costs.

>> [...] We have to wait about six eons just for an operating system
>> that is still too slow and quite confusing to learn.

> What is confusing about GS/OS?  I'll do my best to resolve any
> confusion.

Any programming tutorials you (David) care to pass along, I am
also ready to receive!  I really do appreciate the attention you
pay to the net.

I have seen eight year olds learn how to use the Finder inside of
GS/OS in 15 minutes.  How hard can the user interface be?

>> When I first got the machine, I read Trip Hawkins' summary of the GS'
>> abilities: "GS stands for 'graphics that are static'."  Well, he was
>> right.

> Are you talking about static in the sound output?

No, he's talking about the graphics which you can seen being drawn to
the screen.  One thing that has always amazed me about the Apple ][
family is all of the trouble which the programmers have to go through
to make animation work on these machines.  I guess I could live with
this, but you got to admit that it is rather annoying to watch pull-down
menus being drawn.

>> My "10-YEAR" battery was dead at the ripe old age of slightly over
>> two years.

> Too bad.  If you don't want to pay your dealer to fix it...
> [installing two AA batteries]

Of course, doing this will not only void any warranty or Apple-Care
service, but most Apple technicians will not work on machines which
have home-brew changes to them.

>> Well, I'm NOT GOING TO suggest how to improve the GS.  It's bloody
>> simple: add a coupla graphics modes, and beef up the speed
>> tremendously (basically treble the clock speed).

> How will adding more graphics modes help?  You want lower resolution
> than 320x200?

David, you can be so innocent sometimes.  Of course, he means that
we want HIGHER resolution modes!  Personally, I'll never understand
what the problem was with making a vertical resolution of 400. This
200 stuff is Commodore 64 technology.  Maybe Dave S. is one of the
thousands of IIgs users that is pissed off that Apple upgraded an
8-bit machine's clock speed before the 16-bit machine's. :)

>>                                                Dave Srinivasan
>>                                                CHEESEBALL@ALBION

> --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs

And me!

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth