[comp.sys.apple] virus info should not be supressed

>Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 89 16:16:08 PST
>From:         Carl Macdonald <cdm@PRO-FREEDOM.CTS.COM>
>Subject:      Viruses
>
>I've noticed a lot of talk on the net lately about viruses and
>concern over suppressing information about how they work.  This is a
>very l[e]gitamate concern, however, a virus program is one of the
>easiest pieceses of software to write, and really doesn't involve
>much sophistication.
>
>Carl MacDonald, programmer
>Central Point Software

Information about how viruses work should not be surpressed, period.
There was an excellent piece about this in the RISKS Digest a few
months ago, consisting mainly of a quote from a 19th-century (I
think) document about whether information about locks (door locks,
etc) should be surpressed.  The answers are the same:  people who
want to pick locks or write viruses can get the information in any
case, and most likely they have had it for a long time.

On the other hand, the potential victims (people who could have their
houses broken into or their data destroyed) need to know what risks
are involved in trusting their locks or their computer software.

Now, I don't advocate that source code for viruses be posted, but
explanations of how viruses (in general and in particular) work
_should_ be.  The same goes for virus _detectors_.  If users don't
understand how viruses spread and how virus detectors attempt to
stop them, how can we expect the general public to see viruses as
anything but completely mysterious, random things to be paranoid
about?

Whenever the smallest thing goes wrong these days, people start
yelling "Virus!"

People needlessly waste time downloading programs to floppies when
they might as well download to a hard drive (copying it to a floppy
later and _running_ it with the hard drive turned off is all that's
necessary if you don't trust a piece of software you've downloaded).

>    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!cdm
> ProLine: cdm@pro-freedom
> ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!cdm@nosc.mil
>InterNet: cdm@pro-freedom.cts.com

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/03/89)

In article <8903022303.aa13084@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
>Information about how viruses work should not be surpressed, period.
>There was an excellent piece about this in the RISKS Digest a few
>months ago, consisting mainly of a quote from a 19th-century (I
>think) document about whether information about locks (door locks,
>etc) should be surpressed.  The answers are the same:  people who
>want to pick locks or write viruses can get the information in any
>case, and most likely they have had it for a long time.
>
>On the other hand, the potential victims (people who could have their
>houses broken into or their data destroyed) need to know what risks
>are involved in trusting their locks or their computer software.
>
>Now, I don't advocate that source code for viruses be posted, but
>explanations of how viruses (in general and in particular) work
>_should_ be.  The same goes for virus _detectors_.  If users don't
>understand how viruses spread and how virus detectors attempt to
>stop them, how can we expect the general public to see viruses as
>anything but completely mysterious, random things to be paranoid
>about?

Well, using your analogy with locks, the fact is that nearly any
home can be surreptitiously entered in only a few seconds by anyone
sufficiently clever and skillful who is also armed with the relevant
knowledge about how to exploit weaknesses in locking systems.  The
plain truth is that "consumers" have NOT forced the market to move
very far in the direction of reliable, affordable physical security.
Most motion in that direction has been prompted by industrial and
government-agency needs backed by pressure from those customers on
the lock manufacturers.  I don't think anything short of a patently
out-of-control epidemic of burglary would even wake up the general
public to the realization that their property is not secure, and
then my estimate would be that they would clamor for the wrong kinds
of "solutions" to the problem instead of demanding genuinely better
security from the hardware manufacturers.  That is because people
who suddenly get concerned about an issue seldom invest the study
necessary to arrive at valid conclusions.

Obviously, under such circumstances, widespread publication of ways
to open residential locks, even if not in recipe format, is not
ethically justifiable.  On the other hand, people in the security
industry definitely DO need access to all relevant information.
The difficult problem that needs to be solved is how to adequately
limit entry into the profession to minimize the number of crooked
people obtaining knowledge they'd use for nefarious purposes,
without keeping out persons with a legitimate interest.  That's a
difficult issue, one that governments continually have to face with
regard to classified information.  These issues are probably best
addressed in the mod.security newsgroup, rather than comp.sys.apple.

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (03/06/89)

I agree with David Lyon's comments about the workings of a virus.  While I
don't think we should go about spreading source code samples, the knowledge
about how a virus works (infection, propogation, destruction, etc.) is
important for all computer users to know and understand.

At the risk of speaking too early, as I haven't seen the final draft after it
went through the editor's pens (read: carving knives), I have written an
article about computer viruses which will be in next month's A+ magazine.
It generally discusses what a virus is, how a typical one works, and what you
can do to avoid being infected, as well as how to determine if you may have
been infected.  It is very generalized, as an introductory piece should be.
Maybe if I were writing for Dr. Dobbs I could get a little more technical
about it, but this was for A+.  In any case, it should make for interesting
reading.

--Morgan Davis

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036