[comp.sys.apple] Buggy software

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (03/06/89)

I second Dave Lyon's comment about most good commercial software being
subject to quite a bit of test and revision long before it hits the
street.  I've been a beta tester for WordPerfect GS for over a year now
I think.  We have in general received updates 3 - 6 months before they
went to the public, either to the stores or as announced available
upgrades.  (This was especially true for the 1.1 to 2.0 jump.)  During
that period there were times we'd get new upgrades with reported bugs
fixed at a rate of about one upgrade per month.  Many of the upgrades
also came with new versions of ProDos etc.  before I'd ever heard
elsewhere they were available.  The first version we got after GS/OS was
out appeared only to have one (minor) GS/OS-related bug, although as I
recall it had not been modified much to take advantage of any of the new
GS/OS features.  Any more comments would probably violate my
confidentiality agreement with WP Corp, although I'd like to add that in
general their quality control seems quite good -- of all the versions
and revisions I've received during this period I think there was only
one that was so buggy I refused to use it for normal work.  In general,
each incremental release even if it never made it public had enough more
improvements with almost all previous bugs fixed and few new ones that I
gladly moved to it for my day-to-day work, even knowing it was fresh out
of the coder's hands.

winch@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bill Winchester) (03/08/89)

/ hpihoah:comp.sys.apple / TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA / 10:02 pm  Mar  5, 1989 /
writes:
>         I've been a beta tester for WordPerfect GS for over a year now
>I think.

	Keep up the good work!!

	Bill (happy Wordperfect GS user) Winchester