[comp.sys.apple] WordStar

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/06/89)

A few years ago I was looking through a friend's Commodore 64 magazine.  In
the back, there was an ad for a liquidator who had WordStar 3.3 for the
C128 for only $49.95!  If I only had a 3.5" version of CP/M...

On a related note, I have been wondering why my CP/M board will not work in
"fast" mode on my GS.  I browsed through the hardware reference, and Page 168
says something like "Cards that use /INH will work properly if the system is
running at 1.024 MHz".  On Page 166, The Book says that "Pulling this line
[/INH] low during 01 inhibits (disables) the memory on the main circuit
board."  This doesn't mean a lot to me (some Comp Eng Major I am).  What would
a peripheral card use /INH for functionally?  Is there some kludge availiable
for bringing a Microsoft CP/M board up to speed?

| <<<<<(((((( DAVE SEAH ))))))>>>>> |	Internet:  dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
| Worcester  Polytechnic  Institute |	Bitnet:	   dseah@wpi.bitnet
| Computer Engineering Class of '90 |	AppleLink: Omnitreant
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <- I am dirt.

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN (03/06/89)

APPLIED engineering had a 3.5 version of CPM.  I had a copy but not a CPM card
that works on my GS on on my II+ and of course my 3.5 only work on the gs OH
well.  A friend uses it regularly.  Try them

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (03/09/89)

In article <1206@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
> [...]
>says something like "Cards that use /INH will work properly if the system is
>running at 1.024 MHz".  On Page 166, The Book says that "Pulling this line
>[/INH] low during 01 inhibits (disables) the memory on the main circuit
>board."
>What would a peripheral card use /INH for functionally?
                             ___
	I dunno exactly what INH does (being a software person), but I
remember from reading the manuals (a loooong time ago) that the CP/M card
disabled the 6502 so that it could do its business. It did it in cycles,
so that the 6502 would be disabled while the Z80 would use the busses, then
it would reenable the 6502 (so that it's dynamic registers didn't die a
horrible death), etc.
>Is there some kludge availiable for bringing a Microsoft CP/M board up to
>speed?                                     ___
	I doubt it, given that it relies on INH, and the hardware ref. said
that that won't work in fast mode. So, unless you want to play with the gs'
motherboard... Why would you want to anyways? Wouldn't it only affect the
native 6502 code that gets called from the Z80 stuff? What I would do to
take care of the problem is write a small program which just set the gs to
slow speed & ran the CP/M startup program - not too hard.

>| <<<<<(((((( DAVE SEAH ))))))>>>>> |	Internet:  dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
>| Worcester  Polytechnic  Institute |	Bitnet:	   dseah@wpi.bitnet
>| Computer Engineering Class of '90 |	AppleLink: Omnitreant
		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."